Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Ruse de Guerre Questions
TOPIC: Ruse de Guerre Questions
PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Glenn Pearce
20th Jun 2023 07:26:29

Yes, you can use these rules for the SYW. The rules are designed for you to tinker with if you so desire. However, there is nothing stopping you from using them for the SYW as is. We use them for all our Horse & Musket periods including the SYW and ACW. All we do is the scenario designer can implement any scenario specfic rule he wants if he feels it had an effect on the particular battle. Otherwise the rules are simply played as is. This avoids players having to learn a completly different new rule set for every different Horse & Musket period. 

You only have three types of troops in the rules Poorly Trained, Trained and Well Trained. So you simply use which one you think applies to your Heavy Cavalry. Most people use Well Trained unless they feel that certain Heavy Cavarly regiments were not Well Trained or underperformed.

Hopefully, this answers your question, if not or you have other questions just let me know.

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Brad1971
22nd Jun 2023 03:55:56

Thanks very much.  Just what I was hoping to hear!   I have a few of the other rules in the polemos series, just building up the armies still.   

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Brad1971
16th Nov 2023 02:20:11

Ok I have been painting, have had some stuff painted and ordered yet more stuff.  How many bases should an army generally have to get a good game.  I am awaiting my copy of the rules and trying to figure out what more I need.   Are we talkimg 40 plus bases, 20 bases?  Just trying to get an idea thank you.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Glenn Pearce
17th Nov 2023 12:24:24

Hello Brad!

Sounds like your making good progress, congradulations!

Each period in RdG has a minimal Army Pack that you can see in the catalogue. The AWI for example is less than 40 60x30 bases and 20 30x30 bases for each army. The British and American. Most people buy these packs and then start adding more once they get their feet wet, to play bigger battles. 

War of 1812 less than 20 60x30 and 20 30x30 American. British less than 30 60x30 and 20 30x30.

F&IW less than 25 60x30 and 20 30x30 French, British less than 15 60x30 and 20 30x30.

Extremely economical to get started. 

Glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Brad1971
17th Nov 2023 01:45:20

Thanks very much!   I am very excited to start playing!

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Whirlwind
18th Nov 2023 03:22:52

Ruse de Guerre works absolutely fine with ~12-20 bases (or more) per player. For some of my small generic Horse & Musket games that might be something like 2 brigades of 3 foot units, 1 brigade of 2-3 horse regiments and 1 brigade of 2-3 dragoon regiments, with a gun or two, four individual commanders and one army commander. You can then get both sides for 1 x Foot booster pack (£21.80), 1 x Horse pack (£9.25), 1 x Dragoon pack (£9.25), 1 x Arty pack (£4), 1 x Generals pack (£4). What's that - £48.30 for both sides? Add in a pack of dismounted dragoons and a pack of limbers to taste, for another £4 each if you like.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Whirlwind
18th Nov 2023 03:24:07

Actually, thinking about it, I am quite interested in what Glenn reckons the optimal maximum number of bases for each player might be? His club games tend to be multi-player affairs, I think.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Glenn Pearce
20th Nov 2023 02:18:03

Hello Whirlwind!

Oddly enough I've been mulling over that problem for years. The short answer is 24-25 bases is about the maximum the average player can handle efficently. It will of course also depend on the players skill level. A highly skilled player can handle double that. While others with less skill will struggle to handle 24 bases. It also depends on what time your aloting to each turn. Were presently using a 5 minute time clock so we can finish a big game in one day. It's common to have players assigned more than 25 bases so sometimes they really have to move to complete their turn before the buzzer goes.

To be efficent players have to really concentrate on their moves before it's their turn. Unfortunately many players are distracted by events happening on the table and don't fully concentrate on their own forces until they have to which is too late. The good players are those which are always thinking ahead a few turns and simply alter their long term plan as events change. The slower players are generally those that simply react to what has just happened and only have a vague idea about their final goals. So every unexpected move throws them off balance and they sometimes lose sight of their goals and make poor or bandage moves that will end up badly for them.

Our games are now 8 -12 players, so if your not on your game your chance of success is very limited.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Whirlwind
19th Dec 2023 06:48:51

Hi Glenn,

Quick question arose whilst I was playing today: when an attacking base contacts two defending bases, does the attacker or the defender choose which of the two defenders is the main defender and which is the support? And the same question, if it is two attackers against a single defending base. I have always played it a certain way, but I was re-reading the section today and I don't think it is specified?

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Ruse de Guerre Questions
Glenn Pearce
20th Dec 2023 02:34:05

Hello John!

Yes the rules do not specificially state which base is which. The intention is the attacker identifies which base they are attacking, as per normal or which one of two is the attacker. Support is always optional and must be identified by the player.

Hope that helps clear it up.

All the best for the holidays!

Glenn

LATEST FORUM POSTS

And you thought 6mm was small? by peter
13th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

Lancelot - or Lancers 4 ways... by Colin the Wargamer
12th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
12th May 2024