Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Gettysburg reenacted (solo)
TOPIC: Gettysburg reenacted (solo)
Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Gettysburg reenacted (solo)
ironass
25th Apr 2024 06:56:58

At last I come down to it.

Yesterday I put the scenery on the wargames table. Quite a bucolic little scene it seems. I guess Buford will come on it today in Move 1.

Will add to the Post as it unfolds.

PM Mort53
Standard User
Mort53
25th Apr 2024 12:59:33

Could be an interesting outcome if he doesn't get to the high ground, and table looking great (not sure why but I want the Evergreen Cemetery after looking at yours).

Mort

there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower 

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
25th Apr 2024 04:16:15

Cemetery done by Daniel Hodgson (Reveille) as all buildings Leven and Baccus. Have to place fences and railroad cut yet but you have the idea...

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024 09:14:39

A couple of things I really like about that layout. Firstly it is great to see the iconic buildings of Gettysburg. Secondly the plain green table allows t5he terrain to stand out so you know exactly where each terrain area begins and ends. A really nice table to look at. Looking forward to your photo report of the game.

A little goes a long way

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
26th Apr 2024 11:51:49

I have the opposite reaction - I don't like the plain green table.  But that is the beauty of wargaming, especially solo, you get to do things that please you and to hell with others who don't like it.  The figures and buildings are lovely and the table is how he wants it and that is really all that matters.

This does push into deeper territory for me though.  When readings books and looking at maps - especially historical maps like those used by allied forces in WW2 - I am always struck by how complicated everything is.  How much detail is on them, how hard it is to make sense of the movements and battle at a nitty gritty level.  This desire for simplification allows an understanding of the flow of the battle that is hindered by getting into the weeds.  So whilst I prefer the look of a textured mat and more natural landforms to actually play the game and be clear what is happening this set up is superior.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
29th Apr 2024 05:28:29

1st July Early Morning.

Buford's Cavalry arrival.

The railroad cut (unfinished) is in another colour (in fact there are various shades of green LOL).  Hope jon 1066 likes it!

The Ist and XIth Corps (UNION of course) set apart... ready to arrive... in due time (one of the advantages of doing things SOLO I guess).

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
30th Apr 2024 06:12:49

Subtle changes in the scenery (but this is a SOLO advantage).

Buford's brigades are waiting to engage Heth's coming Division... Cavalry patrols are on all the roads to scout for the Rebel Army.

There they are 3 Confederate Corps and 7 Union Corps. (Infantry) + Artillery etc etc etc

On the next pic a close up of a Confederate Corps and last LEE + Foreign observers and the Reserve Artillery. Gettysburg is a magnificent affair but you do really need TIME and SPACE.

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
1st May 2024 08:03:12

Your output and scale of game is outstanding.  You also appear to have a lot of space to do it in.  Have you taken over a school?

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
1st May 2024 10:34:58

Nah... not at all... it is my old office (without all the computers, scanners, plotters, and other hardware... all went to the bin after some years retired), you are looking at old working stations... now the office is still in the first floor at home... and my daughter has a piano on one ex meeting room... and the rest is for various hobbies... for the moment... if I live long enough some of my grandchildren probably will evict me and my toy soldiers... LOL

The "wargames table was a very useful working place for arquitect drawings and other stuff... some big plans have been over there in old times... no more of it nowadays.

I dreamed of doing this once retired but it took a lot of time!

PM jon1066
Standard User
jon1066
2nd May 2024 08:29:00

Sweeeeet!  That's a great set up and well done for keeping it so tidy.  In my house crap expands to fill the space available as the saying goes. My wargames table is 2 boxes deep in figures and I'm working on three different projects in the space of a cutting mat!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay
4th May 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
3rd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by Talbot
3rd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS