Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > On They Came - Outcome of Firing Results confusion
TOPIC: On They Came - Outcome of Firing Results confusion
PM davidbest
Standard User
On They Came - Outcome of Firing Results confusion
davidbest
11th Jun 2023 04:35:05

Hi.  We played OWC for the first time yesterday and had fun though we found the rules a bit confusing in places.  This one threw us for a loop.  Pg 17 (and the QRS as well)  Outcome of Firing. first point says if the result does not exceed that of the target by 2 or more there is no effect.  However the second result point says if the result exceeds that of the target by 3 or more the target falls back 3BW and goes to ground.  So what happens if the result exceeds the target by 2?  Which point needs to be corrected?

Hi there.  I was just wondering about the status of #26654 which was ordered Nov 28.  It's listed as paid.  I realize you've been busy but I'm just asking.

Thanks,

David

PM peter
Administrator
peter
13th Jun 2023 04:35:46

Hi David,

I contacted Peter Riley and this is what he came back with:

Pg 17 (and the QRS as well) Outcome of Firing. first point says if the result does not exceed that of the target by 2 or more there is no effect. So, this table is simply one of degrees:

In this instance the result does not exceed that of the target by 2 or more there is no effect so this instance this line of the table applies. If it does exceed by more In this instance the result does exceed that of the target by 3 or more there is an effect. 

• If you have 3 in this instance this line of the table applies.
  • If you have 4 or more the next line applies
  • If you have 6 or more the line applies
  • And finally If you have 8 or more the line applies

The use of the term 'more' allows single result like the (2) and more results like the (4 or 5) to be used in a single table. Sorry for any confusion.  It means that you have not exceeded the target by 2 or more you have scored 2 or less than your opponent. You can use 2 or less if that suits you better as the rules are fairly robust.

'However the second result point says if the result exceeds that of the target by 3 or more the target falls back 3BW and goes to ground. So what happens if the result exceeds the target by 2? Which point needs to be corrected?'

The copy I am looking at says that if the firers modified score exceeds that of the target by 3 or more the target falls back 1BW and goes to ground, if you’re asking about the 2 result use the two line in the table. I think the version I am looking stands.

I hope that helps.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM davidbest
Standard User
davidbest
14th Jun 2023 12:18:32

Thanks for the response

OOPS.  That was a typo.  Yes the result is fall back 1 BW for the 3 or more result.  Sorry about that.

However, I think there is a problem with Peter's reply about the first point. "if the firers modified score does not exceed that of the target by 2 points or more, the firing has no effect*

Breaking down that sentence it means 2 things

a)If the firers modified score does not exceed that of the target by 2 points

OR

b)f the firers modified score does not exceed that of the target by more than 2 points.

A result of 2 does indeed exceed that of the target by 2 by definitlion so therefore there should be an effect or 2 just doesn't exist.  The sentence would have to be "if the result is 2 or less" and not 2 or more.

Thanks again and I don't mean to be a pain.

Hi there.  I was just wondering about the status of #26654 which was ordered Nov 28.  It's listed as paid.  I realize you've been busy but I'm just asking.

Thanks,

David

LATEST FORUM POSTS

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD