Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Polemos SPQR
TOPIC: Polemos SPQR
PM Steffen1988
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Steffen1988
23rd Oct 2020 10:48:43

Hi folks,

which Armies are in the SPQR Ruleset included?

nice Regards

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Whirlwind
23rd Oct 2020 01:01:51

Late Republican Roman ('Marian')

Early Imperial Roman

German

Gallic

Parthian

British

Numidian

Sarmatian

Dacian

Pontic

Spanish

PM Brad1971
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Brad1971
15th Jan 2023 02:02:50

I hope eventually they come out with rules to cover the Late Imperial Romans.  

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Whirlwind
16th Jan 2023 10:00:35

I don't think it would have much difficulty in covering it as it is now.

PM Doolan
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Doolan
13th Aug 2023 11:13:09

Hello!

I recently got into the Polemos rule sets via Ruse de Guerre, which my friends and I have been enjoying greatly.

We quickly got most of the rest off Wargame Vault and were thinking of taking SPQR for a spin, but as we're mostly interested in the battles of the Polybian Roman armies of the mid-republic, we were wondering what the consensus was (if there was one!) in applying this ruleset to that era. Are there some unofficial army lists for the Punic Wars period floating around, or some agreed-upon way of adapting the ruleset to it?

Thanks in advance!

PM davidheading
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
davidheading
14th Aug 2023 08:52:40

Hi,

I've never tried Punic Wars with any rule set, and don't know all that much about them, but the major issue is the Roman triple-line deployment.

I had two thoughts in dealing with this. The first was to ignore it and just deploy the hastati etc as you would normal spear-armed legionary bases. You might look at the interpenetration rules to see if they need modifying. 

The second idea is to mount Roman infantry on triple-depth bases with the three lines and give them a bonus or, better, better staying power - more levels of shaken can be sustained - to reflect the ability to relieve the front line. 

The more sceptical part of me wants to say that the deployment did not really make that much of a difference so can be ignored, but that might just be me.

Regards

David

PM Berggeit
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Berggeit
14th Aug 2023 10:55:01

Lee from Miniature Adventures bases his stuff like Polemos but plays To The Strongest. He based the Roman infantry on what seems to be 15x60mm bases and allows them to rotate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5kIHD2Ng4E

I haven't played any of the Polemos rules yet and don't know any unoffical army list but I assume you can use the existing army lists to create fitting army lists. I suppose elephants might be the biggest hurdle. 

PM Doolan
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
Doolan
14th Aug 2023 02:22:13

Thanks a bunch Berggeit!

I'll certainly look into To the Strongest, I've heard very good things about it.

Elephants are actually in the Polemos SPQR army lists. The only thing is that, since no mid-republican troops would legitimately count as legionaries by the rules definitions, then everybody and their uncle, from Carthaginian spearmen to the three Roman ranks, would either count as auxilia or stratiotas, both of which are dealt with identically in the rulebook anyway. This wouldn't make for the most exciting army lists I imagine.

We'll see what we can come up with.

Thanks again!

PM 34Binari
Standard User
Polemos SPQR
34Binari
16th Aug 2023 03:59:17

As an alternative to SPQR, you could give 'Age of Hannibal' by Little Wars TV a try. The designers used 6mm figures when creating the rules and the rules differentiate between different troop types, if that's a concern for you.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD