Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Terrain > 6mm basing sand issue
TOPIC: 6mm basing sand issue
PM Wealdmaster
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
Wealdmaster
8th Dec 2021 05:48:02

Hi, first post on the forum and can't believe that I am making a foray into 6mm, but something about it that I can't explain, etc.  I'm struggling with basing and normally my method is as follows:  Glue down figure, apply coat of PVA, apply fine sand, use dropper to apply PVA water mix to get all sand soaked up and fixed, let dry, paint, flock.  

The issue is getting the PVA water mix to stop pooling with these small particle size sands I got as well as the Gale Force 9 super fine grit.  Maybe I should try a bit of dish soap?  

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
Colin the Wargamer
8th Dec 2021 06:07:45

I found Peter's basing guide and followed it.  I cover the base with diluted PVA (about 50:50) and let it dry.  I then paint a diluted dark wash of burnt umber (dark brown) acryllic paint, which i find sticks the sand down.  Dry brush yellow ochre & then highlight drywash white.  I hope that this helps!  You can see the results on the Colin the Wargamer blog.  Cheers  Colin

PM Mick Sayce
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
Mick Sayce
19th Jan 2022 07:22:57

I have the same method for the last thirty or so years. Reasonably thick, neat pva on base, cover with sand, leave in sand for a couple of houes or so to allow it to sink into the pva. Remove base from sand boxand leave to dry thoroughly -usually overnight- then paint. No water or pooling involved. 

PM mrwthompson
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
mrwthompson
14th Mar 2022 08:52:33

I actually use the finest grain sand I can find and a coat of paint as my adhesive, that way I can control the overall color of the terrain, for good generic sand, I use a light brown.   I put a thick coat of paint on the base and submerge the base into the sand.  After letting the base stay submerged overnight, I remove the base and gently blow off the extra sand.  As a final step, I clear coat the entire base with a clear dull coat.  This projects the figures as they are handled and the keep the sand adhered to the base.

Just my input.

PM jon1066
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
jon1066
16th Mar 2022 11:16:54

The dropper method as used by the model railroad fraternity usually adds wahing up liquid or meths to break the surface tension of the water.

I must admit I haven't had any problems with a 50:50 PVA:water mix paitned onto the base then the sand sprinkled on top - tip on edge to remove excess then leave to dry.  The sand I use is not super fine - just some knicked out of the kids sand pit.

Email Dave Hollin PM Dave Hollin
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
Dave Hollin
5th Feb 2024 09:50:12

as long as its not from the cats litter tray you should be fine

Editor, Slingshot (Society of Ancients)

PM Darren redstar
Standard User
6mm basing sand issue
Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024 07:35:08

I find that a bag of the sand sold in supermarkets for children's sandpits provides basing sand for YEARS.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS