Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > ACW Cavalry smaller units (or stands)
TOPIC: ACW Cavalry smaller units (or stands)
Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ACW Cavalry smaller units (or stands)
ironass
4th Oct 2023 07:45:11

There... I told you I would say something about it!... IF you have read about Brandy Station (where you need also Artillery -both sides- and Union Infantry) and Trevilian Station... the need appears immediatly... a 60x30 stand with 9 troopers IS a Brigade of Cavalry in LINE!... in most respected sets of rules (POLEMOS and ALTAR OF FREEDOM)... so even if you down grade to Regiments (a feat that multiplies by 4 the need of stands both mounted and dismounted)... the accounts manifest the necessity ofhaving squadrons or columns of squadrons... and even single based minis... think of captured flags... couriers... ADC's... Have to work a bit on the flags etc but that is my business...So here you have them (Greg's parcel arrived yesterday). Any comments?

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
4th Oct 2023 01:31:21

It might not be mentioned in the Polemos ACW rules but the basic concept of the Polemos basing 60x30 or 60x60 is the figures don't have to be mounted/based in any particular formation or fashion. The unit (base) represents the ground the unit controls, not it's formation, which is mostly empty ground. Units are always considered to be in the proper formation for the situation at hand, not always as they might appear mounted on the base. So your base of 9 cavalry mounted in a single line is not in that formation if it's not logical for it to be so. It's just a convenient and practical way to base your figuers.

All formation changes are considered to be at a level below that of the game design. 

Best regards,

Glenn

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
4th Oct 2023 03:57:30

Dear Glenn, I have even Ruse de Guerre!... but that is not here not there... when I refight (solo) big battles it is ok and I agree. In fact if I have Baccus minis is because I favor the brigade stands (and all what you say is true)... BUT I am heterodox and aesthetics are important for me!... so I indulge in that because in ocasions a single officer shouting orders in a heavy wooded terrain scared whole units!... I also like to capture flags!... not preaching at all just showing off my particular filias... keep safe!

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
4th Oct 2023 07:52:48

Nice, always enjoy reading your comments and seeing your stuff. Keep bringing it on!

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Enfield53
Standard User
ACW Cavalry smaller units (or stand
Enfield53
5th Oct 2023 04:21:15

That's why I base all of my stuff on 20x20mm and use sabots for larger basing if needed.  If God intended me to base 60x30, then why did Peter make fhe strips 20mm wide?  On second thought...don't answer that.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
5th Oct 2023 07:09:34

Dear Enfield53,  of course as a convinced heterodox I am for free basing... once that out of the way... as long as your contending armies have similar basing it usually works (I would raise another example which will probably be polemic... if Union and Confederate brigades of Infantry had NOT the same number of men why use 60x30 for both?... Rebs had less men in the brigades... so I use a correction dice value for them Rebs... if not they have too many brigades when re fighting historical battles)... OMG! The things I say!. With Cavalry , the subject of the thread ,  I find the 60x30 stands not satisfactory for my taste and home rules... and that's that!. To each his own!

PM peter
Administrator
peter
5th Oct 2023 09:44:08

Basing in this case is...'Horses for courses'....

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
5th Oct 2023 05:25:36

Hello Enfield53!

The beauty of our hobby is you can base your figures anyway you want (sort of what Peter said). Last time I counted my collection which was some 10 years ago I had over 60,000 figures. If I put roughly 8 figures on a 20x20 base that would be 7,500 bases. On a 60x30 with 24 figures thats only 2,500 bases. The more bases in a game the longer it takes to play a game and the more precious table space is lost. So I didn't want to lose two of the major advantages of 6mm, time and space. The 60x30 base also eliminated any need for sabots which was another big time and money waster. You can use the 60x30 base to play pretty much any popular rule set as is or with a few simple house rules. I was never happier then the day I dumped all my sabots into the garbage!

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
5th Oct 2023 05:40:49

Hello ironass!

In the Polemos ACW rules "On They Came" the 60x30 base represents a regiment not a brigade. Once you pick the number of men for a regiment normally 300 to 500 men. You simply divide that number into the number of men in your brigade to obtain the number of regimental bases in your brigade. This will allow you to reasonably reflect the differences in manpower between different brigades. Hopes this helps. Glad to answer any further questions you might have.

Best regards,

Glenn

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
ironass
6th Oct 2023 07:08:58

Hello Glenn!  I only use those Cavalry stands in Cavalry Battles... quite confused affairs if you ask me... and mainly fought dismounted!... lol .... never fear if I need your help I will ask!... a look at the threads The Army of the Potomac and The Army of Northern Virginia will show you my orthodox use of 60x30 for Infantry Brigades Nd 30x30 for Artillery!... the thread Antietam shows a big battle where Cavalry were mainly spectators.                            

I agree with Peter Absolutely! 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
14th May 2024

Camels by DuncanWB
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by Wigster600
14th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by dourpuritan
14th May 2024

And you thought 6mm was small? by dourpuritan
14th May 2024