Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Artillery Pieces
TOPIC: Artillery Pieces
PM Norsemaelstrom
Standard User
Artillery Pieces
Norsemaelstrom
10th Mar 2017 08:59:18

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. I have a question in regards to the size of the artillery pieces for the American Revolution and American Civil War ranges? I'd like to know if two artillery pieces and crew can be put on a 30mm by 60mm base or will there not be enough room on a 30mm frontage?

Thanks!

PM mangemani
Standard User
Artillery Pieces
mangemani
11th Mar 2017 06:45:46

im pretty new to this myself, but as far as i know(i asked the same question on a different forum), you can fit 3 cannons with crew on an 60 x 30 with ease. you can even fit 4 if you like, but 3 is recommended, beacause with 4 it will start to look a bit cramped.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Artillery Pieces
Glenn Pearce
11th Mar 2017 08:08:48

Hello Norsemaelstrom!

Your question indicates to me that your planning on using 30mm as the frontage for your artillery. If so then in some cases you can squeeze two artillery pieces and crew into the space (15mm each), however, some guns are slightly wider and won't fit unless you stagger them.

I wouldn't recommend you mount them that way as their intented to be mounted one gun and crew on a single 30mm x 30mm base with a single limber mounted on a 60mm x 30mm base. This is conventional Polemos basing and is very common in 6mm even if you use other rules. The other thing to consider in 6mm is don't crowd your bases with too many figures if you want them to stand out. Crowded bases don't let much light in and from a distance they look like dark blobs.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM Norsemaelstrom
Standard User
Artillery Pieces
Norsemaelstrom
12th Mar 2017 10:26:45

Glenn you hit the nail on the head! For volley and bayonet artillery stands frontages are always half the size of the frontage of the infantry bases. That is what I was thinking that two would likely be too crowded on the base.

My next question is how long are the libers? Id estimate from looking at them that they are likely 40mm in length?

Thanks

PM peter
Administrator
Artillery Pieces
peter
13th Mar 2017 12:10:58

Glenn has already answered this, but just to confirm, a gun and crew fit comfortably on to a 30mm frontage.   Trying to squeeze three into a 60mm front will look very cramped.   Artillery were deployed with a healthy interval between pieces.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Artillery Pieces
Glenn Pearce
14th Mar 2017 12:11:11

Hello Norsemaelstrom!

French limbers are approximately 45mm in length.

If you want to play Volley & Bayonet thats fine, but I wouldn't follow their basing two closely. It's better to base your figures to match the scale first and the rules second. Baccus has designed their figures and basing to match. So I recommend you use Polemos basing (Baccus standard) 60x30 for infantry, cavalry, limbers, wagons and 30x30 for guns & crew, commanders and casualty/shaken markers. Only two bases for your entire collection. We have played V&B using these bases with no problems. You can play pretty much any rule set out there as is or with a few simple house rules.

Best regards,

Glenn

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass