Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Additional RdG Questions Before First Game
TOPIC: Additional RdG Questions Before First Game
PM brothercrow
Standard User
Additional RdG Questions Before First Game
brothercrow
23rd May 2017 10:02:09

First game "proper" of RdG this coming Thursday - I will take a camera, and write a report - I think I have a handle on the rules now, just a couple of comments/observations:

• Does the non-tempo player need to use a TP to move a general...I read that a general is a base, so yes is my thought, but not sure that was the intention. Happy either way, but just want to get it right!
  • Elan/First Fire - when losing elan, is it due to shooting within 1BW, or any shooting (and close combat, of course). I assumed the former.
  • My observation - you seem to need a lot of command stands, one for each force, correct? Again, not a problem, just interested to see what other peoples approach is. I base my figures on 2p pieces for Brigade Command, and 1p pieces for force/battalion command. I use a small coloured piece of plastic to identify commander quality.

Hopefully that is it!

Here's the OOB I intend to use (it is a fictional scenario set in the Southern Theatre) - I used ratings frm the Guilford Courthouse scenario in the book:

British (TP=5, AC=18)

CinC (Cornwallis) - 1 Commander-in-Chief (Capable)
6lb Artillery (under Cornwallis) - 1 Stand (T, 6lb)
6lb Artillery  (under Cornwallis) - 1 Stand (T, 6lb)
Combined Grenadiers  (under Cornwallis) - 1 Stand (W)

Tarleton - 1 Commander (Decisive)
Tarletons Light Dragoons - 4 Stands (T, S)

Webster    (23rd and 33rd) - 1 Brigade Commander
23rd Fusileers - 3 Stands (W) + Capable Commander
33rd Infantry - 3 Stands (W) + Capable Commander
Combined Light Infantry - 1 Stand (W, S) + Capable Commander

Leslie (71st and Hessians) - 1 Brigade Commander
71st Highlanders - 3 Stands (W) + Capable Commander
Hessians - 4 Stands (T) + Capable Commander
Jaegers - 1 Stand (W, S) + Capable Commander

--------------------------------------        

Continental (TP=5, AC=18)

CinC (Greene) - 1 Commander-in-Chief (Capable)
6lb Artillery (Under Greene) - 1 Stand
6lb Artillery (Under Greene) - 1 Stand

Washington - Commander (Decisive)
Washington's Light Dragoons - 2 Stands (W)

Williams - Brigade Commander
Continentals - 3 Stands (T) + Capable Commander

Hugar - Brigade Commander

Lawson - Brigade Commander
Militia - 5 Stands (P) + Plodding Commander
Militia - 5 Stands (P) + Plodding Commander

Kirkwood - Commander (Decisive)
Light Infantry - 1 Stand (W, S)
Delaware Light Infantry - 1 Stand (W, S)
Rifles - 2 Stands (T, S)

Graeme,
Durham Wargames Group

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
23rd May 2017 02:36:20

Hello Graeme!

Certainly looking forward to reading your report and seeing the pictures.

All commanders move for free.

You lose your Elan/first shot bonus for any shooting or fighting. You only get a first shot bonus for firing within 1BD (not BW). So if your first shot is beyond 1BD you have lost your Elan/first shot bonus. You can only recover the bonus with a 10+ in shooting or 6+ in close combat. We simply put a puff of smoke on any unit that has shot or fought to show that they have lost/spent their Elan/first shot bonus and remove it should they be lucky enough to regain it.

The Elan/first shot bonus forces players to carefully plan out their attack/defence. Failure to do so often results in a failure to maximize their intentions.

Yes every force should have a commander and if possible his name and rating. In your case some of them would be the name of the regiment unless of course you know his name and list it in the o/b. That avoids putting labels on all the units. This is all just playing aids to make it easier for the players to follow who is where and doing what. I simply use a single figure for a force commander, two for the next level and three for anything higher. All mounted on 30x30 with a magnetic strip at the back to afix the name and a coloured magnet to show his rating. Again all just playing aids. The 30x30 base just fits in nicely with the 60x30 unit bases. I also use shaken markers/casualty on 30x30 as well for the same reason. They all fit snugly together and can be simply pushed along the table. However, use whatever works for you.

The o/b looks great. Tarletons Light Dragons, if mounted aren't considered as skirmishers as long as they remain mounted. So you can drop the "S" from their rating. Should you choose to dismount them then they automatically act as skirmishers.

Anything not clear, just let me know.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM jozistinman
Standard User
jozistinman
23rd May 2017 03:15:43

Looks good, I cannot wait to see the report! And lots of pictures!

PM brothercrow
Standard User
brothercrow
24th May 2017 10:23:07

Cheers guys!

Glenn, that makes perfect sense...yes, drop the (s) from the cavalry, it must've escaped my proof reading!

One other stupid question.....I assume that mounted troops do not fire (unless they dismount) - I couldn't spot anything in the rules that explicitly states mounted troops don't fire, so it is only an asumption...it looks to me that the way to use mounted troops is in melee support, which sounds about right!

I've come up with a better way of identifying commanders now as well, which you will see when the battle report is done - I have spent the last couple of evenings painting up the extra commanders I need!

Graeme.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
24th May 2017 01:54:55

Hello Graeme!

Yes it was not common practice to fire while mounted, so it's not provided for in the rules. Cavalry often fought each other, so whatever they actually do is considered a tactic below the level of the game. The rules favour cavalry that attack shaken troops, so yes melee support is the ideal way to look at them. When available they were often deployed as flank guards or held in reserve, similar to practices in Europe.

Certainly looking forward to see what you have done and hear about your game. I'm not sure who is more excited you or me!

Best regards,

Glenn

PM brothercrow
Standard User
brothercrow
24th May 2017 02:01:04

Excellent, that's the way I thought it worked!

Errr.....me probably...been working hard painting up the extra I needed, just need to finish the basing on 15 Commanders and 4 artillery limbers tonight, then I am good to go...!!!

If you are down at the UK Games Expo/BHGS Challenge, pop along and say hello.....I'll be in the FoG Ancients competition.

Graeme.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
25th May 2017 01:00:56

Hello Graeme!

Hopefully some day, but not this year. I reside in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Still it's nice to know that you enjoy other periods as well.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM brothercrow
Standard User
brothercrow
25th May 2017 01:17:46

Aha, didn't realise you were the other side of the pond!

Yes, I may well be picking your brains for Seven Years War amendments (I saw in another thread you used RdG for that as well), as I have bucket loads of Prussians and Austrians to finish (also Baccus 6mm) once the AWI stuff is done.....

We play a lot of periods - FoG for competitions, but other stuff for fun....lots of Crossfire WW2, recently some Principles of War Colonials....I have figures in most periods, been doing this for 30 years or more!

Graeme.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024