Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > GdD Queries
TOPIC: GdD Queries
PM wilf12358
Standard User
GdD Queries
wilf12358
15th Oct 2019 10:29:03

Hi All,

I've now had a few sessions gaming GdD to get to grips with the rules and have a query regarding horse artillery. As far as I can determine they cannot be used for bombardment and seem to only offer supporting bonus as part of an attack? Can they fire independently?

Also, we had a cavalry clash of dragoons. The British had rear cavalry support and horse artillery on the left flank. The French had rear and one right flank cavalry support (opposite the British horse artillery) The British won and forced the French to fall back, into the rear support, so pushing it back taking & inflicting a shaken level. The British follow up. What happens to the French flank support? Do they also fall back, or are they left in situ?

Looking forward to enlightenment!

Cheers, Wilf

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
GdD Queries
Whirlwind
16th Oct 2019 05:28:41

Hi Wilf,

1.  As written, yes: Horse Artillery can only be used for support and for close-range firing (i.e. firing which uses the "firing" table, not the bombardment table).  There was some discussion of this on the Yahoo group a while ago and Chris discussed a couple of options:

a - allow players to designate horse artillery as foot artillery prior to the game.

b - just let the horse artillery bombard.

2.  In general, units giving support will retire if the unit they gave support to retires, falls back or breaks (this was a Yahoo group clarification from Chris).  However, in the specific instance you are talking about, then I don't think this should have happened: units that have an enemy 1BW or less facing them can't give support.(p.19. "Friendly unit to flank or rear, in base contact with the base being supported and with no enemy base within 1BW of their front".)   So, depending on where exactly everyone is, the British shouldn't have been allowed to charge until they sorted out their formation or the horse artillery and the flanking French cavalry face off and don't provide support to either side; if it was the French who charged, then it should be resolved as two separate combats (one cavalry vs cavalry, the other cavalry vs artillery).

Does that make sense?

PM wilf12358
Standard User
GdD Queries
wilf12358
16th Oct 2019 04:11:40

Hi Whirlwind,

Thanks for the clarifications, all part of the learning curve!

On the cavalry attack example, the French attacked the British so charged 2BW. On reflection, I think there should have been two attacks: one cav vs. cav, each with rear cav support, and the single French cav attacking the British horse guns.

Cheers, Wilf

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
GdD Queries
Whirlwind
16th Oct 2019 05:03:26

You are very welcome Wilf

PM edo1952
Standard User
GdD online #3
edo1952
9th May 2020 03:37:03

Hello
Good information on HA, we were using FA and HA.
Is FA also to dice using the Firing table at  long distance (1BW)
What of as a reaction  in BD or PB range ?

We have a question about bombardment such as the one depicted below. This measuring stick is designed
for 12pd as x ruleset  8BW  is 46th line the target or 4th line as well as it falls within the trajectory( I'm guessing here but probably thinking of In the Grand Manner or Bruce Quarrie Napoleonic rules for tabletop).

A general caught in the open (forgotten or lost :D) caught by enemy infantry or cavalry is removed from the game or he simply evades ? with or without a dice roll?

Thank You

PM edo1952
Standard User
GdD on line #4
edo1952
9th May 2020 01:52:52

Hello all,
Q & A keeps coming.   We have gone through a cavalry vs infantry attack and pursuing
and had an Infantry vs Infantry  attack (see attachments)
French side overtook my 12pd guns scattered the gunners (eliminated)
In the attack phase I attacked the advancing French infantry on the flank
-Austria test to attack  6   France 6  then +/- modifiers  
in the Defender  the + modifiers are added to the Defender D6 result ,the negative modifiers
to the attacker D6 result ? (that is how we proceeded)
also
-can Defender evade a flank attack, taking 1 Shaken ?
-can he fire ? (not facing the attacker)
-if Defender turns to face the attacker before he falls back 1BW :
    those the attacker turn to face the opponent as well ?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
GdD Queries
Whirlwind
10th May 2020 04:09:59

Hi,.

Is FA also to dice using the Firing table at  long distance (1BW)? What of as a reaction  in BD or PB range?

Artillery firing using the 'Firing' sub-routine rather than 'Bombardment' does not use any range modifiers.

We have a question about bombardment such as the one depicted below. This measuring stick is designed
for 12pd as x ruleset  8BW  is 46th line the target or 4th line as well as it falls within the trajectory( I'm guessing here but probably thinking of In the Grand Manner or Bruce Quarrie Napoleonic rules for tabletop).

Just the 46th Line (i.e. +1 rather than +3 to the bombardment roll).

A general caught in the open (forgotten or lost :D) caught by enemy infantry or cavalry is removed from the game or he simply evades ? with or without a dice roll?

There are no rules for this either way in GdD IIRC.  I personally play it that unattached generals simply evade.

in the Defender  the + modifiers are added to the Defender D6 result ,the negative modifiers to the attacker D6 result ? (that is how we proceeded)

Yes.  The way I think of it is to take the difference between the two dice rolls as the base modifier, then add or subtract from this (it works the same but I find it more intuitive).  So if both sides roll '6', then the base modifier is '0'. then add/subtract the modifiers from that.

-can Defender evade a flank attack, taking 1 Shaken ?

Not unless otherwise specified in the rules.

-can he fire ? (not facing the attacker)

Yes, the defender can.  If the fire turns out to be effective - unlikely - presumably that indicates that the unit was able to turn and face in time or was in square and managed to get some accurate volleys in from the few companies facing the attack, or whatever.

-if Defender turns to face the attacker before he falls back 1BW :
    those the attacker turn to face the opponent as well ?

No.

I hope that helps. I have made some FAQ notes over the years from answers the author gave on the old forum - I posted them here.  They may be of some use to you.

All the best.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024