Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > 13C Eastern European Models
TOPIC: 13C Eastern European Models
Email GenWAnders PM GenWAnders
Standard User
13C Eastern European Models
GenWAnders
15th Feb 2021 03:52:10

Hello all,

With the looming reopening I wanted some help figuring out my next order.  I'm planning on building a few DBA armies, tentatively 13th century Germans, Poles, and Hungarians.  The Germans look easy enough, but there's a few figures that don't have obvious model choices:

Polish/Hungarian knights - it seems that both kingdoms may not have had the traditional heavily armored knights, but a similar variation.  Would standard 13C knights (CFR02) fill the role well enough, or should I look for a substitute?

Horse archers - I assume Hunnic AHU01 horse archers would fit well enough for them

Polish "murderous rustics" - WEC13 peasants seem my best bet for these two-hand weapon-equipped levies

German heerban/mercenaries/pikemen - I imagine WOTR's billmen, dismounted men at arms, or pikemen would work

Aside from those I believe I'm best off using Frankish spears/crossbowmen and WOR02 longbowmen for the rest of the troops.  Any advice for getting as accurate as possible is appreciated, I'm new to this era of warfare.

PM peter
Administrator
peter
17th Feb 2021 11:04:40

Can you provide images/descriptions of the various troop types that you list. It's not a subject that I know a great deal about.   There is a big difference between the WOR and CFR/MFE ranges and depending on your answers it will be able to steer you one way or the other.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email GenWAnders PM GenWAnders
Standard User
GenWAnders
18th Feb 2021 01:47:58

To be honest, I'm also working with the barest of knowledge.  My best sources have been Osprey and other illustrations I've found online:

13C Poland, 13-14C Poland, 13C Germany, 13C Hungary

As mentioned above, it looks like all three could have knights as 12-13th century style (maybe use older knights for eastern nations showing the "advance" of western technology?).  Hungarian horse archers look like they could be equipped in armor with helmets or simply with furs and hats, in which case the Huns seem a suitable proxy.  And Frankish/Norman spearmen and crossbowmen styles seem to pervade all three armies, so I have no issue with them.

My toughest challenges are the German and Polish "auxiliary" units.  DBA references Polish "murderous rustics", levied Prussians with two-handed axes (I presume they're depicted in the second image as #4 and #5), so I'd assume simply clothed soldiers with two-handed weapons would work.  Likewise the Medieval German list has "heerban with glaive or goedendag or mercenaries with axe or two-handed sword or halberd", which also seems to either be simple levies with two-handed weapons or mercenary men-at-arms with halberd/zweihander swords.  Any attempt to find good resources on any of them have failed beyond pictures with no context on Google.  Regardless, unless I'm missing a code hidden elsewhere there doesn't seem to be any axe/halberd/greatsword wielding soldiers save for Vikings, so my current plan is to use EMA02 Huscarls for both and play up/down the armor to fit them.

Finally I'm considering German "feudal retainers", which again have sparse information but given they're treated as a horde they seem to be simply equipped and poorly trained rabble, so I could throw in a mix of spears, axes, and bows and really try to downplay the armor on all three.

To recap:
Knights - CFR01/CFR03

Horse archers -  AHU01

Spearmen - CFR05/EMN04

Crossbows - CFR06

Archers - EMN05

German mercenaries and Polish "rustics" - EMA02 (shakiest choice by far)

That's what I've got for a gameplan so far, if you have better suggestions I'm open to them.  It looks like I can get everything I'd need for just under the limit, provided the "build a unit" can work to get a half-pack of huscarls.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS