Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > 1809 Napoleonics
TOPIC: 1809 Napoleonics
PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
1809 Napoleonics
Colin the Wargamer
17th Aug 2018 04:07:17

Looking for advice on Saxon and Baden proxies for 1809 uniformed troops.  Saxons have been covered in other posts, looks like Prussians with a paint job.  Baden seem, IMHO, to be remarkably like Wurtembergers.  I have been using the excellent Rawkins books on CD as my source.  As I want to do troops on the Danube in 1809, I will also need Bavarians and Wurtemburg, which have their own ranges.  

The only other figures I may need are artillery limber teams in Bicornes.  Do these exist in Baccus?  

In a similar vein, for the battle of Raab I need Hungarian Insurrectio (formed Grenzers already done - just miscalculated the numbers, so need more!) and various types of Landwehr & volunteers.  Apparently there are Spanish troops in Top Hats (Hurrah!) and formed Jaegers (another Hurrah!).  Does anyone know of formed troops in a "round hat" (a bit like an English clergy man - big circular brim with half sphere on top, possibly with a cockade/plume)?  All replies gratefully received.  Colin   

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
1809 Napoleonics
Colin the Wargamer
6th Apr 2020 03:34:56

Dear Fellow Gamers  An update to my post.  I have now completed my Saxon Army of 1809.  It is based for BBB and has enough troops to field two infantry divisions and a cavalry division at a scale of 1:500.  You can see it in it's full glory on my blog (colinthewargamer.blogspot.com).  A few thoughts for anyone contemplating a similar move.  1) Baccus Prussians in Bicornes are really good.  For Grenadiers, the Prussian Grenadiers have a plume moulded on - Saxons don't have this.  I did make two bases with plumes, then decided to attack the Grenadiers with a rotary tool - which was quite successful.  I used Spanish Heavy Cavalry - perfectly good, but if I did it again I'd use some Spanish & some Prussian Heavy Cavalry, just so that the Cavalry do not all look exactly the same and there is a bit of variety in the poses.  I used the Rawkins E-book on the Saxons as reference.  As the uniform massively changed in late1809/1810, I have, of course, bought loads of French 1812 Infantry to recreate the Saxons in their new uniforms.  I'll also be getting different cavalry & artillery as well.  I will attempt to attach some photos in the next post.

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
1809 Napoleonics
Colin the Wargamer
6th Apr 2020 03:37:04

Photos  http://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com   http://ps://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/p/gallery-napoleonics.html

PM IainF
Standard User
1809 Napoleonics
IainF
11th Apr 2020 03:03:27

Baden Line Infantry's helmet was actually more like the Austrian one. Big bugbear of mine when you see them in Raupenhelms!

Just to add to the confusion though the Jager and Artillery were in Raupenhelms.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS