Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Mid-Victorian British
TOPIC: Mid-Victorian British
PM Eltaylor2001
Standard User
Mid-Victorian British
Eltaylor2001
31st Mar 2024 04:22:20

Hello all,

I'm on the precipice of starting a new project, the core effort of which will be a small British force dated around the 1860s/1870s - this should give sufficient coverage for a number of alti-history scenarios such as interventions in the American Civil and Franco-Prussian wars, Japan, and Italy, as well as some real conflicts such as the Ashanti wars and Abyssinian expedition. I understand uniform did change a little over this period though from what I have seen of the slates, it was not to such a degree to be noticable at 6mm scale.

My issue currently is which minis in question to use; 

I have been comparing Napoleonics, Colonials, and even FPW Republican French from their images on the store page, and I can't quite decide which would fit best, if at all! I'd be open to a little conversion if needs be but I'm not too dextrous with a knife - Id much prefer to 'convert by paint' wherever possible.

Has anyone else attempted a similar project, or have any input on which minis they would reccommend?

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
Mid-Victorian British
ChrisBBB
1st Apr 2024 07:50:01

Maybe Austrian risorgimento-period infantry have the right mid-height shako?

But for Ashanti or Abyssinia, won't you need colonials in pith helmet?

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Mid-Victorian British
dourpuritan
3rd Apr 2024 10:58:09

The Risorgimento Austrian line infantry, and gun crews look good. The Piedmontese artillery pieces, having single trails, also look good as do the light dragoons. Lancers, hussars and heavy dragoons can just be Prussians painted in British uniforms. There were also some home service militia units in grey uniforms with kepis which could be sourced from Union infantry. The 1860s and 70s are pretty easy to do. The difficulty comes with the later home service helmet having a spike, but the pith helmet lacking the spike. Another alternative is to trim down shakos to create the pork pie field cap.

A little goes a long way

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Mid-Victorian British
ironass
5th Apr 2024 06:57:04

I like the sentence: I'm on the precipice of starting a new project... LOL l'audace... toujours l'audace!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS