Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > HETERODOXIA
TOPIC: HETERODOXIA
Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
12th Jan 2024 07:06:49

Not shouting just emphatic!  I open this thread so you can tell us what experiences using Baccus minis have you that do not follow the "rules"... and by the "rules" I mean the ORTHODOX approach to the hobby. Let's start with an example : recently I got a lot of 24th Foot ZULU WAR times minis (great minis Peter!)... have not a single Zulu... Not riff-raff allied units as the NNC... and I do intent to wargame (my heterodox way) both Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift (In fact I could do the later at 1/1 but no place inside of the magnificent Leven model so 1/2 it will be. Do you see where I am going?... please tell us your more adventurous experiences with Baccus minis! It would be inspiring and provocative... (will probably edit this post and put a pic on later... DONE!... just added a new Post with the pic of Jim's place...). Cheers  

PM Wg Cdr Luddite
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
Wg Cdr Luddite
12th Jan 2024 10:38:09

A chum of mine bought loads of Baccus Zulus to use as primitive infantry in a Sc-Fi game.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
13th Jan 2024 07:49:12

That's the spirit!... Thank You WCL!

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
13th Jan 2024 09:02:19

Not a single Zulu... Leven model by Daniel Hodgson at REVEILLE... BACCUS minis  (mine) painted by the talented Robert Jackson (Greg)... excellent panting service! (email rgjackson100@gmail.com)

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
13th Jan 2024 06:40:40

Now: A bit of explanations about unorthodox basing. In the first pic you can see the alternatives possible for gaming with 30x15mm bases (really cheap PENDRAKEN... thanks Leon!)... you can go for the ZULU DAWN film approach or the Mike Snook (elegiac) book HOW MEN CAN DIE BETTER. Notice that there are minis WITHOUT base at all (to fit the Leven trenches of bags).                                                                                                               On the second pic  using the same stands you can see a company rallying square (Mike Snook like) with the same bases (a feeling of old Napoleonic Wargaming)... and the third pic my working place. A pic is worth a thousand words they say... Any questions?

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
16th Jan 2024 08:32:01

At the risk of boring you to tears I will insist in the heterodox advantages... NOT that I do not love the magnificent BIG BASES by Peter... perish the thought (I do love them)... but what I am saying is that some of the advantages of experiences in "bigger scales" such as 15mm and 28mm are "ignored" in 6mm without real reason... one day I discovered that using "smaller bases" in 6mm helped me with my games, another example is the mounted Artillery battery commanders for the ACW... a "marker" I hear you say... well... call them what you want... BUT they are really useful!... then the "concept" was streamlined for Colonial games... how can you play the mounted ride of Melvill and Coghill at Isandlwana?... You NEED those  single bases of mounted officer's!!!... and I could rave ON and ON. Suffice to say that MDF bases are very cheap... so why not experimenting a bit?...( mind, I have plenty of 60x30mm bases with brigade stands of 24 minis in two ranks and 4 skirmishers forward!... but this is the ortodox way that do not exclude the other) it has big reward in ways of modelling and wargaming... THANKS to the sheer quality of the castings mind!... SO?... does it help?

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
18th Jan 2024 09:25:52

Summing up (and as a last comment before someone else shows a minimum of interest):             

1.-   You can be heterodox using Baccus minis for other purpose than originally designed for. Be that PROXIES (normally means just a different use of colours palette) or even using them as a base to transform and "military modeling in 6mm" a bit a completely different Unit. OK that is clear I guess. See also Post and comment here by Wing Commander Luddite (Fantasy and SCI-Fi by definition has NO limits).

2.-   You can "experiment" with the size of bases/stands in function of your desire/period/needs etc. Be that Upwards (a la Peter BIG Unit stands) or Downwards (as me where one mini per stand is the inferior limit).

3.-   You can also tweak and modify the most popular sets of rules to SOLO wargame or because it is what you wish acording to your reads and influences.

4.-   You can also be heterodox with terrain (or your wargames table) there are those that would like a Railway Model style scene... and those like me that prefere flat surfaces (even when using hills and the like) for the stands to do not look unbalanced or adrift. Have also problem with "woods" maybe one day I will write a post about that.

Probably those 4 points cover the subject. Any contribution to it?... any other ideas?... 

PM Mort53
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
Mort53
18th Jan 2024 04:00:53

I just want to say damn you ironass, I thought my next purchase choices (Pony Wars & WWII) where my final selction for this time round but after seeing your pictures now wondering if I need to include some Colonial stuff too.

Point 1.  having recently got back into the hobby after a few decades away I find myself often using my Ancient figures to test rules for another period e.g. Chariot = Sherman tank  Elephant = Tiger tank Bolt Thrower = PIAT 

Point 3.  Hoping I can adapt Pony War rules for Colonial, so any views on this most welcome.

Mort

there was a light at the end of the tunnel, and it was a flamethrower 

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
Whirlwind
18th Jan 2024 07:30:49

I don't see it as much on this version of the forum, but on the previous forum there was a lot of interest for a while in really 'miniaturized' versions of games. So Space Hulk on a 20cm x 20cm board, Sharpe Practice on a 1'x1' table, that kind of thing.

I hardly think of it as 'Heterodoxia', but my own focus for a little while has been getting (nearly) all scenarios down onto a 2'x2' or 3'x2' board; the (heretical) idea being you can have as much fun doing that that as refighting Mollwitz or Sittangabad, but in an hour on a 2'x2' board as on a 9'x7' board over 2 days.  Chain of Command scenarios work just as well with WRG 1925-50 on a 2'x2' board as with 28mm figures on a 6'x4' board. And so on. And I should probably get around to writing up all the notes I have made on solitaire play over the years.

I think there is a specific gap for 'large' 1:1 actions which are not really possible with bigger figures; realistic Medieval skirimshes, Napoleonic brigade actions with figure scales of 1:1 or 1:3 and so on...but I don't think that at the moment the rules support is really there.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
HETERODOXIA
ironass
25th Jan 2024 06:48:52

Whirlwind Post is very interesting. I have the chance to have a permanent big table (now in 6MM it is really huge) see POST Antietam in this present Forum, but for small actions I agree with him, I only use a part of it and that's that. A very good Post.

Nowadays painting some Prussian Dragoons Standarbearers from 1870 into 17th lancers for the 6 months Zulu War... doing "conversions" in 6MM is also FUN!.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by jon1066
3rd May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by milopea
3rd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS