Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > 1st GdD online
TOPIC: 1st GdD online
PM edo1952
Standard User
1st GdD online
edo1952
26th Apr 2020 05:37:22

Hello,
a friend of mine and I are testing wargaming online using Tabletop Simulator. Not wanting to tax our old PC CPU
we limited ourselves to create kriegspiel style blocks over hand drawn and colored maps.
Essentially the questions that came up while we were testing the rules (both of us like them) came up during
a firefight. I supplied images to present our questions which have to do with:
1) fire support by base which bases count for it. Art supports at +2 (if did not bombard)
    Musketry support by base at +1 ? at every range ? long short point blank ?
2) if firefight result is 1 shaken level or more do all the bases that took place in the firefight
    take 1 ?

2) question has to do with creating a breach to allow for a melee attack.
   > do the sappers have to be added to the brigade and move as one with them or
      independently?
  > in their 1st position (see pic1) can they move through friendly shaken units (taking 1 shaken level)
     set up by the wall and create a breach ?
     After they do they just retire through the friendly infantry (shaken 1 level from the firefight) or 
     take part in the assault. ?

Thank You

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
1st GdD online
Whirlwind
28th Apr 2020 10:14:25

Hi,

1) fire support by base which bases count for it. Art supports at +2 (if did not bombard)
    Musketry support by base at +1 ? at every range ? long short point blank ?

+1 long range, +2 close range, impossible at point blank range (see top-right p.15)

2) if firefight result is 1 shaken level or more do all the bases that took place in the firefight
    take 1 ?

no, as a result of a firefight only a single base can be shaken; other bases may be affected as a result of subsequent outcomes; firefights are done against a single target base - if you have two bases firing at two bases, that is two separate firefights.

2) question has to do with creating a breach to allow for a melee attack.
   > do the sappers have to be added to the brigade and move as one with them or
      independently?

they are normally commanded directly by the C-in-C, but may be put under a subordinate commander at the beginning of the game only (top-right p.13)

> in their 1st position (see pic1) can they move through friendly shaken units (taking 1 shaken level)
     set up by the wall and create a breach ?

yes, although it takes two turns to do it (p.15, right-hand column, para. 2); they can't fight themselves, so in this instance it won't happen.

After they do they just retire through the friendly infantry (shaken 1 level from the firefight) or 
     take part in the assault. ?

ah, I see what you are driving at.  I don't think the rules intend them to work that way.  I would actually put a separate rule in if you want to use Sappers as combat engineers and reduce the defensive value of any buildings by 1 instead for the attack of any infantry base they are supporting, or similar.

I hope this helps

PM edo1952
Standard User
1st GdD online
edo1952
29th Apr 2020 11:30:51

Thank You Whirlwind, for clearing it up for us.
Best Regards

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024