Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Polemos Rules > Polemos General De Division questions from first outing.
TOPIC: Polemos General De Division questions from first outing.
PM mickb
Standard User
Polemos General De Division questions from first outing.
mickb
14th Oct 2018 01:47:40

Firstly .... WOW !

Our first game was a blast and great fun however inevitably some questions cropped up and I present them here in the hope that tomorrows game will be even better :)

1) If a broken unit is destroyed / removed from the table for being forced into an enemy unit must the unit that caused the break pursue ? And can they only halt after a successful rally test ?

2) a unit C is in contact with two enemy units A&B side by side thus

A

A

AC

AC

BC

BC

B

B

A & C fight and A is forced to fall back and C to follow up. What happens? Does B stay stationary and C aligns with A and moves alongside B?

3) Is the cost to rally one shaken level 2 orders (as on the quick ref sheet) or 2 TP (as in the rule book)

4) When pursuers rally after successful test do they maintain their facing or rally facing any direction ?

5) The CinC needs to be within 6BW of subordinate to issue TP but how close does a subordinate need to be to issue orders to units?

6) In cav vs cav test to charge, does a target unit that elects to counter charge get the +2 for pursuing or charging  ?

7) Can broken units in turns after the initial break and heading towards own base line manoeuvre to avoid other units be they friend or foe?   

Thanks in anticipation,

Mick

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
14th Oct 2018 04:46:13

Hi,

AFAIK...

1 - Yes. Yes.

2 - Okay, it depends.  Was B supporting A (i.e. it did not have an enemy other than C 1BW to its front)?  If so, it retires with A (that is, specifically it 'retires', it does not 'fall back').  If not, it stays where it is.    

As advice, in the former case that B stays where it is, and it isn't being attacked by the other unit 1BW to its front, I would calculate the combat between B and C straight away (it saves a lot of confusion).

3 - It is both.  I think the rulebook is a bit confusing about this point.  Ordinarily you use 2 order points, simple.  But, if you want, you can use 2 tempo points to allow the C-in-C or general to rally 2 shaken points in a turn (i.e. his 'free' rally plus another).  You will very rarely do this.

TBH, I think the whole thing 2TP thing is a carry over from the WSS rules, because IIRC that is how you do rallying in those rules: there are no order points, so you have to decide how many TPs you want to keep back for rallying .  Apparently the intention in the Napoleonic rules was to just allow rallying in phases 3 & 7. 

4 - Any direction (p.19, final para, 2nd sentence).

5 - As written, there is no command radius for subordinates.  The only disadvantage is that you can't take advantage of the free rallies and combat bonuses.  I would advise experimenting with requiring subordinate generals to be within 6BW of one of their units and all of their units to be within 6BW of at least one other unit in the formation, otherwise pay the OOS penalty.

6 - +2 for charging.

7- after the initial prescribed move, yes.

hope that helps.  any questions, please ask and I will do my best.

PM mickb
Standard User
mickb
15th Oct 2018 04:26:38

Thats great :)

No doubt more Q's may arise tobight !

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
4th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by David Kay