Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > Comparing Black Powder to Piquet: Field of Battle Rules
TOPIC: Comparing Black Powder to Piquet: Field of Battle Rules
PM gsayhi
Standard User
Comparing Black Powder to Piquet: Field of Battle Rules
gsayhi
28th Jun 2021 04:41:10

I made a post on my blog comparing the two rule sets. Feel free to comment on the blog or here if you like.

https://thetinsoldierguy.blogspot.com/2021/06/comparing-black-powder-to-field-of.html

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
28th Jun 2021 07:43:09

That was a very interesting read. I have used both sets of rules in their earlier iterations, and now own both of the current editions. Initially I used BP for the Seven Years War (central European theatre), and found The Last Argument of Kings gave the Prussians far too much of an advantage over the Austrians. However I plan to use the new BP with the ACW Glory Hallelujah supplement because the overall differences between the Confederate and Union armies are less marked and the supplement is very detailed in dealing with periods during the war and also the different theatres. I will be using 15mm figures with a reduced footprint and reduced 2/3rd inch scale measurement (see Pony Wars for this). I really enjoyed my games of FOB2 and am looking forward to using FOB3. I generally use FOB with smaller scale figures and have used them in the past in mid/late C19th games, particularly the FPW, where they have worked extremely well. Since moving to the Netherlands I now play solo and have found FOB to be a particularly good set for solo games. I also like to generate scenarios for FOB (I use other rules for historical battles, such as Bloody Big Battles) and am really looking forward to planning some imaginary campaigns in mid-C19th Europe using 10mm figures from the First Schleswig War of 1848. Overall I would give FOB a slight edge, particularly after making a dice slide - i.e. a narrow card strip marked in ascending order: 4 6 8 10 12 12+1 12+2 12+3. As you work out the die needed for an action simply slide a counter up and down the die chart to arrive at the required die number. It takes away one more thing that needs to be held in the head and helps speed the process. Couple of further points; disappointed that the new FOB covers the ECW, but then skips straight to the WSS, so I will need to fashion a playsheet for the 1680s-90s for my 6mm Sun King armies. I have also found Neil Thomas' One Hour Wargames a good source for scenario ideas that can then be applied to bigger games..

A little goes a long way

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
LEmpereur
28th Jun 2021 10:03:45

Thanks for both, post and comment!

How do you use FOB with 6mm figures? basing? number of bases and figures in units?

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

PM gsayhi
Standard User
gsayhi
28th Jun 2021 01:43:23

Hi LEmpereur

I reduced the battlefield cards that are in 9' x 5' to 6" squares. So 4.5' x 2.5' is plenty of space for 6mm and fits in a living room table!

I converted all bases and measurements from inches to centimeters. Measurements here are width x depth.

Infantry battalions are on 4 bases and can have 2 to 6 figures depending on the period of play. The sizes are 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm. Tiny, but it works!

Cavalry are 2-3 figures on 4 bases. They are 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm

Artillery are mounted with gun and 3 figure crews on a base. There are two bases/battery. size is 1.5 cm x 3 cm. cm.

Brigadier generals are 2 leaders mounted on a single infantry size base.

Army generals are 3 figures mounted on a 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm base

That's how I make my 6mm work.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
29th Jun 2021 08:30:16

I base as strips, i.e. two strips, one behind the other, on a 25mm square base, four bases per unit, and use the 2/3" ruler on a mat squared in 8" blocks, as this is really helpful in reducing scenarios, usually depicted on 6'x4' or 7'x5' tables. I do this as my dining table is 6'x3' (and only really gets used as such at Christmas). 3 or 4 cavalry figures fit the same szie base. An artillery base also sits happily on the same size base.

A little goes a long way

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
LEmpereur
29th Jun 2021 09:34:29

Thanks for answer !

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Paint for Pay by wargameGary
18th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
18th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
17th May 2024

New GNW scenario book by hwiccee
17th May 2024

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS