Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > Painting Hussars
TOPIC: Painting Hussars
PM under_score
Standard User
Painting Hussars
under_score
5th May 2022 01:41:12

Does anyone have any pictures/tips for painting Napoleonic hussars?  I started a couple squadrons, painted up their horses, then froze.  I can't seem to figure out what's going on with their uniforms in these sculpts.

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Painting Hussars
Colin the Wargamer
5th May 2022 05:55:26

There are pictures on the Colin the Wargamer blog of French Revolutionary Hussars, French 1st Empire Hussars and Austrian Hussars, if that helps.  Which bit did you freeze on?  Colin

PM under_score
Standard User
Painting Hussars
under_score
5th May 2022 08:53:44

Mostly the pelisses, trying to distinguish on the sculpts what's what.  I found the hussars of your Revolutionary army, those pictures are very helpful.  I'll give these another go over the weekend.

Great looking armies on there.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Painting Hussars
dourpuritan
6th May 2022 07:14:35

Here's something I tried on mid-C19th hussars (most of whom still wore the Napoleonic style dolman, and a small number still the pelisse). The lines of lacing across the front of both garments are so close together that there is no need to show the underlying colour of the main garment. Instead block paint the colour of the lace, then apply a light wash, such as Army Painter soft tone ink, then apply a gentle drybrush of the original colour and this fools the eye into seeing the separate lines of lace. 

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD