Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > facial paint
TOPIC: facial paint
PM Sidrovich
Standard User
facial paint
Sidrovich
24th Nov 2021 01:46:15

What is the best paint (from vallejo) for faces and hands 

PM peter
Administrator
facial paint
peter
25th Nov 2021 12:20:57

I use flat flesh.   Works for me and the majority of the figures you see in the catalogue are painted with that shade.   'Best'?  Perhaps, but others may not agree.   These things are very subjective.

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Sidrovich
Standard User
facial paint
Sidrovich
25th Nov 2021 02:32:11

Hello thank you Peter

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
facial paint
dourpuritan
28th Nov 2021 10:20:20

I use beige brown, then highlight nose, cheeks, chin and ears, plus hands in flat flesh. Also forehead if visible.

A little goes a long way

PM jannie
Standard User
facial paint
jannie
18th Feb 2022 06:14:15

Beige brown is really good as I am a beginner and learning facial paint. 

Standard User
facial paint
dourpuritan
20th Feb 2022 09:00:12

I will be experimenting soon with the Army Painter speed paints. Will start a new thread on them after I have given them a go later this week.

A little goes a long way

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
facial paint
monk2002uk
23rd Feb 2022 08:28:43

It will be interesting to see how you get on with the Army Painter range, dourpuritan. Thanks.

I paint the face and hands with a chocolate brown base and then place dots of the flesh colour onto the brown, leaving the edges. Helps the hands and face to pop more, IMHO.

Robert

PM mrwthompson
Standard User
facial paint
mrwthompson
14th Mar 2022 09:02:41

I have had a lot of luck with a basic medium flesh color (either Howard Hues or base ceramic paint) and block paint the rest of the figure as the last step, I use a Vallejo Wash (https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/model-wash-en/european-dust-76523/) over the entire figure.  In the end, I put a little tan (or ivory) drybrush (VERY LIGHTLY)

It tends to give me a really nice three-color shade on the flesh and does great work blending the beards of the Janissaries into the face as well.

Again, just my two cents

Standard User
facial paint
dourpuritan
15th Mar 2022 08:04:09

I found that the Army Painter speed paint Crusader skin gave a good result. However the problem with speed paint is that it can be reactivated by applying other paint over it. One way of dealing with this is to apply all the speed paint you want to a figure then leave alone for at least 72 hours. Then varnish and allow to dry thoroughly before applying other paints. TBH not sure that it is worth using speed paint with anything below 28mm.

A little goes a long way

PM jon1066
Standard User
facial paint
jon1066
16th Mar 2022 11:08:05

Speed paint doesn't sound very speedy!

I use the foundry triad for painting.  I usually choose the lightest shade of anything given the tiny scale but for the skin it is the one part of the model I apply a base and a highlight.  So I use the mid flesh tone and then highlight with the light flesh tone (ie to pick out chin, nose, cheeks).

LATEST FORUM POSTS

French white coat infantry in Tarleton helmets with colourful flags 1791-94 by Colin the Wargamer
27th Apr 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS

LATEST RELEASES

HCNOMAD - Hail Caesar Arab Nomad ArmyHCNOMAD