Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Glue
TOPIC: Glue
PM Jacksb
Standard User
Glue
Jacksb
15th Mar 2024 10:53:07

Hi All,

First time poster. I've got some Roman bolt shooters and Celtic chariots to assemble and was wondering what is the best type of glue to use. I plan to assemble, undercoat and paint. Thanks.

PM Rakkasan
Standard User
Glue
Rakkasan
16th Mar 2024 03:54:08

I use CA glue (Zap a Gap, Loctite, Gorilla).  The challenge is in controlling the amount the comes out of the tube.  Cheers  

PM Jacksb
Standard User
Glue
Jacksb
16th Mar 2024 11:27:35

Thanks Rakkasan for the advice.

PM monk2002uk
Standard User
Glue
monk2002uk
17th Mar 2024 08:21:02

Put some CA glue on another surface, such as small plastic bag that minis are delivered in, and then use a pin to apply the exact amount you need to the location. This avoids uncontrolled application from the dispenser itself.

Robert

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Glue
dourpuritan
17th Mar 2024 11:06:30

What a jolly good idea. Cheers for that.

A little goes a long way

PM David Kay
Standard User
Glue
David Kay
17th Mar 2024 01:13:46

I use loctite glue that comes in very small tubes. You can get 3 tubes for about £6 in some UK shops (e.g. Robert Dyas). I find I can just about get not too much out of the thin nozzle to give a blob for attaching wheels, quivers, shields etc. Each tube doesn't last that long at a the price....

The difficulty is either holding the item steady enough whilst the glue sets or devising some method of holding them at the right angles hence a number of my wheeled vehicles look as if they have broken axles. Once the glue is dry (24 hours) I then give them a good dollop of black undercoat with a rough brush.

PM Jacksb
Standard User
Glue
Jacksb
18th Mar 2024 06:57:57

Thank you all for the advice. I've gone with CA glue. The tricky bit is holding the parts in place waiting for glue to get sticky. It took me a while but the bolt shooters are done.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Glue
dourpuritan
22nd Mar 2024 08:28:32

David Kay, while glue sets try supporting vehicles and artillery with bluetack. An artillery piece with its wheels and trail in bluetack should set perfectl staight.

A little goes a long way

PM David Kay
Standard User
Glue
David Kay
26th Mar 2024 08:54:03

That of course assumes I don't manage to get the bluetack stuck to the glue.....

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ANTIETAM 6mm by ironass
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by jon1066
26th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by ChrisBBB
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
26th Apr 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
25th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS