Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Fixing warped flag poles
TOPIC: Fixing warped flag poles
PM Noah_the_cat_guy
Standard User
Fixing warped flag poles
Noah_the_cat_guy
7th Dec 2023 11:44:37

I just revieved an order, and on some of the command strips that inlude figures holding flags the pole isquite bent, I've fixed stuff like this in larger minis with either boiling water or a heat gun. Would the same work here?

thanks! - Noah

Noah.

PM Ian Bishop
Standard User
Fixing warped flag poles
Ian Bishop
12th Dec 2023 08:06:57

I think you just have to bend them back - very gently.  I use a pair of hobby curved pliers.

PM srfaruqui
Standard User
Fixing warped flag poles
srfaruqui
16th Dec 2023 04:29:39

Maybe the real question is:

What do you do when the b*****s break off?

Anyone?

BikesBrownBeer&ToySoldiers

PM Leafs87
Standard User
Fixing warped flag poles
Leafs87
17th Dec 2023 03:23:33

Heya, 

If the detached pole remains in relatively good condition then super glue + a deft hand can repair the job. Use toothpicks or sewing needles for precision. This process can be helped by boring/drilling a slight depression into the model where the pole should be held/protruding from, allowing the pole to stand straight while the superglue does its job.

If the broken pole is beyond repair and reattachment, consider making your own standard/flagpole. I've made these using garden wire for the pole and paper for the flag, cut to preference using a hobby knife. Excuse the quality of the photo, but below is an example of a standard I've made from scratch: 

PM Captain Brockman
Standard User
Fixing warped flag poles
Captain Brockman
2nd Jan 2024 05:30:54

To be honest some of the club gamers are a bit '' heavy handed'' ( well only 1  other than myself :-D ) so i always replace any standard bearers 'poles' with dress making pins....... yes it is extra work.......As I concentrate on Game of Thrones ( so no historical restrictions )  for a 6 base unit I usually  have around 11 banners/flags for each unit.. i take whichever  figure  that looks like  i can convert to a standard bearer, snip/ file off any spear /sword etc, then mini drill a hole in the base, i then counter sink this hole with a larger diameter bit .....A dress making pin is then put through from underneath ( the head of the pin fitting into the counter sunk hole ) , a dab of super glue on the head and a touch where the figures hand would be,.....I then use a dab of plastic putty on where the pin meets the ''hand'' to give them a ''being held '' look, .....once dry  job done ( well exceptfor painting/basing etc :-D )   yes it is a lot of extra work but my banners never bend or break.... 

I do this because i like to see loads of banners on the table, ..As I make my own banners apart from the time there is hardly any cost involved.....I also enjoy dfoing this so to me it is worthwhile,.... I would understand anyone not enjoing this process to be less tempted to try............  

Valar Morghulis

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024