Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Modelling and Conversions > Ancient Siege Equipment
TOPIC: Ancient Siege Equipment
PM David Kay
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
David Kay
15th May 2022 12:41:22

A while ago there was a thread about trying to find suitable siege equipment for the Ancient period, but I seem not to be able to find it now (darn it! - thread, darn, over never mind). Anyway, at the time I advised I was trying to find some suitable siege towers. I think I may have done. Despite being at 10mm scale (nominally) they do seem to be a reasonably good fit and not too overscale as in the attached photograph. The tower on the left is a Pendraken model and that on the right from Kallistra (not finished painting it yet). I've added some figures for scale along with some walls. From the left the wallls are: Irregular Miniatures stone fort; Irregular Miniatures stone fort (double height); and Leven Miniatures castle wall. 

PM David Kay
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
David Kay
15th May 2022 12:46:44

The photo below is from the reverse angle with the Kallistra tower on the left and the Pendraken tower on the right. The Pendraken tower seems more of a better fit for Ancients and also for my base sizes (25mm frontage). As it is a wooden kit (as opposed to white metal for the Kallistra one), I have some ambition to buy some more and try cutting them down by a floor to see what they look like.

PM David Kay
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
David Kay
6th Feb 2024 01:56:27

As threatened all that while ago.....

Here is an update on my experiments with assault towers. I stuck with the Pendraken models (the original is the tower on the left) and cut one down by a floor to create the one in the centre of the photograph. Leon from Pendraken then, very helpfully, produced an Eastern shooting tower (on the right in the photograph).

Whilst my modelling skills are at best described as elementary, the results are sufficient my ambitions.

PM David Kay
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
David Kay
6th Feb 2024 02:01:38

And from the rear, so you can see my badly painted figures.

Roman legionaires man the original tower on the left, Roman auxiliaries crew the cut-down version in the centre and some Persians shoot from the archery tower on the right.

PS, Not sure why this photo has stretched. I tried re-loading it but had the same result.

Email Dave Hollin PM Dave Hollin
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
Dave Hollin
6th Feb 2024 05:59:06

allegedly badly painted is far superior in any case to unpainted.... :-)

Editor, Slingshot (Society of Ancients)

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
dourpuritan
15th Feb 2024 07:58:17

Irregular do a lot of siege weapons and equipment, including a hide covered siege tower, in 6mm.

A little goes a long way

PM David Kay
Standard User
Ancient Siege Equipment
David Kay
16th Feb 2024 02:59:35

Yes I spotted that as I have quite a bit of Irregular stuff in my baggage, tents and building departments, along with some of their figures. From the photograh on the website it looks as if it is a solid tower with no provision for being manned. I wasn't too convinced that a ram and a drawbridge in the same contraption was appropriate either. 

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS