Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > Proxies and Alternatives > Russo-Turkish War 1877-78
TOPIC: Russo-Turkish War 1877-78
PM Eric.Henderson
Standard User
Russo-Turkish War 1877-78
Eric.Henderson
12th Apr 2020 05:50:11

Any suggestions for the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78? I am thinking the ACW Union could stand in for Russians and the ACW Zouaves for the Turks, but I would like to hear any other ideas anyone might have. The cavalry and the artillery seem to be more problematic. Any suggestions for reading, websites or other resources also gratefully received!

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
12th Apr 2020 06:21:00

An article in an early issue of Wargames Illustrated looked at this.  Richard Brooks recommended:

Russian Line Infantry - ACW Federals

Russian Guard Infantry - WW1 Russian Infantry, or Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr, ideally in greatcoat

Russian Dragoons - ACW Federal Cavalry

Cossacks - Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr Cavalry in flat caps

Turkish Infantry - ACW Zouave in Fez with no pack (alternatives: Crimean War Zouave, or early WW1 French Colonial infantry)

Turkish Cavalry - Indian mutiny sowars, Arab irregular horse

Rumanian Infantry - ACW Zouave in Kepi (or early WW1 French infantry in overcoats)

Rumanian Jager - ACW Iron Brigade

Rumanian Rosiori Cavalry - Cossack in fur hat

Rumanian Dorobanz - no idea! (hat shape inimitable apparently)

PM Eric.Henderson
Standard User
Eric.Henderson
13th Apr 2020 12:08:17

Thanks Whirlwind that is very useful - any ideas for artillery?

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Whirlwind
13th Apr 2020 04:02:45

I am guessing something French-ish for the Russian uniform (basically the same as the Line Infantry), whilst the article recommends (for both sides) a Prussian FPW Field Gun for the 4lb gun, with a British 15lb breech-loader for heavier stuff.  I am beaten about Turkish artillerymen though, since I can't think of anything which resembles an artillerymen in a fez in any of the ranges.

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ChrisBBB
15th Apr 2020 09:44:00

For Turkish artillery, just use ACW Union or FPW French and trim the peak of the kepi.

Likewise for regular Turkish cavalry.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1412549408869331/

PM Eric.Henderson
Standard User
Eric.Henderson
15th Apr 2020 11:35:55

Whirlwind, Chris, - thank you both for your response it is much appreciated. After looking at the catalogue I am thinking of using the following codes;                                                                                                                                               ACW01 - Russian line Infantry
ACW09 - Turkish Line Infantry
CEG01 - Egyptian/Sudanese Infantry
GWR06 - Russian Cavalry
GWR08 - Turkish Cavalry
RSI06 - Piedmontese Field Artillery (as they come for the Russians, converted for the Turks).                                                  Anymore input gratefully received!

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ChrisBBB
15th Apr 2020 12:36:25

You're welcome, Eric. RTW was one of my first loves ... Since you ask for other resources, let me point you toward the BBB group on groups.io. In the 1877 folder in the files, you'll find a couple of historical scenarios. I particularly recommend Katseljevo-Ablava. Not only is it a fun battle to fight, it is also your only (historical) chance to field a battery of Gorloff guns (Russian Gatlings). Nikopol is interesting too, but more just a straight attack-defence. Also there are scenario maps for four of the biggest battles (Plevna II & III, Aladja Dagh and Metchka-Tristenik).

PM Eric.Henderson
Standard User
Eric.Henderson
16th Apr 2020 09:17:40

Hi Chris, I have been a member (not very active!) of the group for a couple of years; it is a great resource for anyone interested in the 19th century. I have still not picked up the BBB rules but this may be the time to dive in!

PM Nick the Lemming
Standard User
Nick the Lemming
16th Apr 2020 11:59:24

I can recommend BBB, they're good, simple rules with a lot of flavour, and even one sided battles are made interesting through the victory conditions that are imposed.

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ChrisBBB
16th Apr 2020 12:18:42

Cheers, Nick, thanks for the endorsement!

Eric: don't know whether right now is or isn't the time to dive into a new ruleset ... but anyway, we have been having a lot of fun with a BBB PBEM for the last week and a half, fighting the Austro-Prussian battle of Nachod (1866). Blow-by-blow photo-AAR on Colin the Wargamer's blog; we've finished 8 of the 10 turns and it is tense and bloody stuff.

https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2020/04/wargaming-in-lockdown-nachodz-turn-8.html

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by MattiT
29th Apr 2024

Price rise and the Golden Ticket by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by peter
29th Apr 2024

To make Pete happy: Kliszow (GNW) by njt236
28th Apr 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS