Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > General > Starter Set Contents
TOPIC: Starter Set Contents
PM PrimusPilus
Standard User
Starter Set Contents
PrimusPilus
23rd May 2017 03:39:11

I'm about to pull the trigger on Napoleonic - Boxed Starter Pack British 1806-1812 vs French 1806-1812

Seems like a good place to start. Been playing 28mm skirmish and ready to try bigger armies on a more strategic/theatre level. 6mm seems to be the perfect fit. I was wonding however, what exactly comes in the British/French bags as far as mini's. Is each bag actually the contents of Napoleonic - Napoleonic British Army Pack 1806-1812 and the French Army Pack? Any skirmishers, lights, etc? Has anyone gotten this product and what do you think? The bases look like 20x20?? doing the cost comparison between getting exactly what I want and some 30x30 bases versus the starter box. Thanks in advance!

Upon closer inspection and a brain fart. The bases look like 40x20 maybe? 20x20 would be a square.... Duuuhhh

Richard

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Starter Set Contents
Whirlwind
23rd May 2017 03:54:57

The bases are 60mm x 30mm ( a Baccus 6mm strip of 4 infrantry has approximately a 20mm frontage).  Napoleonic packs have 10 infantry units (240 figures) and 12 cavalry units (12 x 9 = 108 figures) plus four guns and crew plus a few generals.  There are no skirmishers or light infantry.

I think it is a good mix and you can get some games in straight away. But I'd be tempted to add a few extra infantry units and skirmishers in (the latter only if you need them for your basing schemes).  Tackled with a bit of determination, you can get the lot done in 2-3 weeks.

All the best

John

PM PrimusPilus
Standard User
Starter Set Contents
PrimusPilus
24th May 2017 02:10:16

Thanks John. So the starter Brit versus French seems like a good deal. Will pick up some skirmisher packs for each side; just because you can't do it properly without them :-). I painted up the Perry Table Battle pieces 8mm I think) in about a day and they came out pretty good. Amazing how much detail is on these little guys. To bad it's lost a table top viewing range, but they are fun for sure. I have done lot's of GHQ WWII vehicles and infantry for Micro Armor but sadly could not find anyone interested in playing. Seems like WWII is all 15 and 28mm exclusely these days. Looking forward to a change of pace and a new challenge however.

So, will the 60 x 30 allow for line and skimisher on the same base? I have seen that in a few photo's and it look really nice 

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
Starter Set Contents
Whirlwind
24th May 2017 04:52:50

"So, will the 60 x 30 allow for line and skimisher on the same base? I have seen that in a few photo's and it look really nice"

Yes.  A lot of personal preference comes in here though...

I use a couple of skirmisher figures on my bases (usually 4 to indicate a light infantry unit, 2 for a standard infantry unit) which works okay.  I personally thought that using more than 4 made it too crowded if using 2 ranks of 12 close-order infantry for the main body.  This fits in nicely with both the Polemos rules and Horse, Foot and Guns, Blucher, Grande Armee and so on.  However, using separate skirmisher bases looks good too and the distances look more realistic.  Using more skirmisher figures works if using fewer close-order troops, say 12, but then you lose a bit of mass to the unit.

I hope that helps

PM PrimusPilus
Standard User
Starter Set Contents
PrimusPilus
25th May 2017 11:36:36

Absolutely. Just gonna order and continue to research while waiting for the order to come in. Will probably just put the skirmishers on their own base to get the distance right as you mentioned. Thanks for the help!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS