Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Starting a Macedonian Army questions
TOPIC: Starting a Macedonian Army questions
PM SteveHarbour
Standard User
Starting a Macedonian Army questions
SteveHarbour
10th Dec 2022 07:46:18

Hi all, so as we near the end of the year thoughts drift to new projects and I'm looking at delving into 6mm. Also looking for this to be a fairly epic year long project running alongside other projects.

I've never played Ancients as I usually play at 28mm and storing all those Phalangites is not practical? So I'm looking at a 6mm Macedonian army and as I want proper sizes units I'm looking at going big with a full 96 figures per phalanx/base.

So questions:

1) would I be better buying one each of AMA01 and AMA03 to get the ranks looking right? 

2) would 12x8 work best to get this look? Thinking 70mm square bases

3) looking at using Hail Ceasar for the first time. Am I ok with the whole unit on one base?

Cheers in advance for the advice. Any other things to consider/suggestions would be greatly recieved.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
dourpuritan
10th Dec 2022 10:07:36

I too am looking at the same army, for the wars of Pyrrhus against Rome, but using the rules Hannibal, developed by Little Wars TV, and their accompanying Pyrrhic campaign scenarios. Frankly I wouldn't have the time or gaming space for 96 figure phalanxes, even in 6mm, but I think the Hannibal rules do deal with units effectively. Have a look at LWTV's YouTube videos to see what you think.

A little goes a long way

PM Rakkasan
Standard User
Rakkasan
11th Dec 2022 12:07:26

It really depends on the rules you wish to use.  I play a variety of rules (Hannibal from Little Wars, Hail Ceasar, Impetus, and Might of Arms).  I generally use 40x20mm bases so I opted for 40mm squares.  If necessary, I count it as two bases. 

For the base itself, I used 8 strips of AMA01 and 4 strips of AMA03 and placed a casualty or two from  AGR12 under the advancing pikes.  On some I used pins for pikes as Peter recommneds and others I used stiff plastic bristles from a brush of some sort.  Both worked fine.

PM David Kay
Standard User
David Kay
14th Dec 2022 08:54:04

Besides the rules you are planning to use and their scaling / abstraction levels, as I suggested in another thread, you need to consider who or what the opponents to your Macedonians are and how you are going to base and organise them. To get some level of accurate recreation you need to have unit sizes on both sides of the battle at the same level of scale (in terms of men:figures ratio and unit depiction).

LATEST FORUM POSTS

1066 and all that by pushing.tin
6th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
6th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
5th May 2024

ANTIETAM 6mm by horrorninja29@yahoo.co.uk
5th May 2024

Macedonian Successor Phalangites by Rob Thorn
4th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS