Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Napoleonic pack sizes
TOPIC: Napoleonic pack sizes
PM rbatch
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
rbatch
11th Dec 2020 10:03:37

In one of my orderes recently I purchased the figures to do the French middle guard for 1813, figuring that NFR23 Elieteinfantry would do the job.

When they arrived I noticed that the pack size was only 48 figures rather than 96, which doesn't seem to make sense to me, unless its a casting mould thing. If not, could I suggest other packs that could be cast in smaller packs (I'm thinking Scots Greys and Horse Grenadiers).

Cheers,

Rhys

(who currenty has 36 Horse Grenadiers with no real use)

PM peter.mccrone
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
peter.mccrone
11th Dec 2020 10:13:37

You could always note that these uunits represent double the numbers per base until you get more to make up the numbers you want.

PM rbatch
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
rbatch
12th Dec 2020 01:35:49

Its actually worked out OK as I play Volley and Bayonet so i was actually after 6 battalion (2 brigades with 3 battalios to designate shock troops on the table) so all i have to do is order another pack in january. And not much chance of playing many games at the momnet( not due to COVID as here in NZ its buisness as usual) as most /all of gaming partners have either knocked up their wives or have newborns to look after so don't have much free time.

And My interest still stands around other special units that might benifit from having smaller pack sizes.

Cheers,

Rhys.

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
ironass
12th Dec 2020 10:30:11

Horse Grenadiers could be used as elite companies of Dragoons of the Line. Same with redundant Chasseurs a Cheval (excellent elite companies of Chasseurs of the line Companies). If I was Peter I would sell a pack of Cavalry of the Guard containing the 4 relevant Regiments. Two Heavy and two Light. But really most of them can be used with another paint job... honestly. Not that I wargame Napoleonic Period anymore mind... but tons of info still there...

PM peter
Administrator
Napoleonic pack sizes
peter
14th Dec 2020 10:51:33

NFR23, NFR2 and for that matter, NBR2 and NBR15 were all introduced into the ranges to represent the elite/flank companies of line infantry units.   Their prime use is as Grenadiers/Voltigeurs/Light Infantry rather than as elite battalions.  As a result we put them in smaller packs as demand for them in larger packs was not seen to be required.

With regards to elite cavalry,  it costs as much to put these into production as it does line cavalry.  However, sales of these are far smaller, so we already make a loss on them.    All of our production and processing  is geared up to pack sizes, not strips.   Putting them in smaller, non-standard packs would make them more expensive to produce as it would take more time.   Which would you prefer; our current packaging and pricing, or half sized packs at twice the price?

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
Colin the Wargamer
5th Jan 2021 06:20:34

Elite Cav uses.  I bought a pack of the Horse Grenadiers.  The troopers, in pairs, are the elite company for my French Dragoons.  The Flag & Trumpeter figures will also be added to French Dragoon bases - makes the ordinary troops stretch a little further.  The 5 Officers have/will be used as follows:

1 x Commander for French Line Horse Grenadiers (see blog)

1 x Officer, Italian Guard Grenadiers (see blog)

1 x Commander, French Guard Horse Grenadiers

1 x Officer, French Guard Grenadiers

1 + Trumpeter & Flag bearer swapped for French Guard Lancer Command.

Any left overs will become Gendarmes of the Guard.

My French Guard Lancers are yet to be used as such, but have already been made into:

2 x Austrian Lancer bases

1 x Polish Vistula Lancers

To come.....

Polish Lancers (for the army of Poland)

Lancers of Berg (where's my pink paint...?!)

French Guard Lancers (Dutch - the "lobsters")

....  finally - some will be French Guard Lancers (Polish).

None of these have made it to my blog, but I'll let you know when you can see the results.  

For the Lancers, French Chasseur troopers got a head/shabraque remodel and a dress pin added so I could have standard bearers.  I hope this encourages you to get some of these excellent elites!

I vote for large elite packs.  

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
Colin the Wargamer
12th Jan 2021 02:14:29

The French Guard Lancers that defected to the Austrian army are now on the blog.  colinthewargamer.blogspot.com  

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Napoleonic pack sizes
Colin the Wargamer
12th Jan 2021 03:38:32

The Guard Grenadier Cheval alternatives are now on the blog and on facebook (6mm Miniatures & Wargaming.  I hope they inspire you to buy that pack of Guard and use any left over figures!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by ChrisBBB
2nd May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by dourpuritan
2nd May 2024

Bloody big battles basing by jon1066
2nd May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS