Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Napoleonic Revolutionary War/Italian Campaign
TOPIC: Napoleonic Revolutionary War/Italian Campaign
PM Rudi
Standard User
Napoleonic Revolutionary War/Italian Campaign
Rudi
18th Jun 2020 06:12:33

thanks Henk

lekw, we did also russian infantry for the italian campaing of Suvorov

we use napoleonic prussian with bicorne for infantry and...

SPR03 & 02 for grenadier

SPR05 & 06 for cavalry 

NPR28 for artillery 

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
18th Jul 2020 04:34:53

Chaps  My AWL01 Loyalists arrived Monday and I have now had a chance to look at them.  

Here are my thoughts:  

1 Hat - has a pronounced front plate which will work well.  The top is rounded, (domed), not flat, but I don't think that is an issue.  

2 Coat - Looks fine.  Has falling rather than standing collar (which is what we want).  No back pack, but Austrian infantry of the day left their packs with the rear echelons, so this is fine.  

3 Command strip - there are two line infantry, one infantry man with open mouth (obvious NCO) and a guy with a big bag under his right arm.  This soldier has no rifle.  

I checked Rawkins book and Austrian officers had Bicornes - so a suitable raid of the spares box produced Prussian Officers in Bicornes - ideal.  No drummer in the AWL01, but I can live with that.  I had hoped the flagbearer wore a Bicorne, but it seems that flags were carried by NCOs, wearing the cap.  

So, time to work on the "bag man".  I had two spare Bavarian standard bearers, they had their heads chopped off and replaced with heads from the bag men.  A Landwehr flag bearer also had a head swap.  

The three flagbearers now have Austrian caps, the Bavarian bag men will be looking after the Mule Train and the Landwehr bagman will be a suitable rear echelon mule handler.  

I'll write this up on the Colin the Wargamer blog (done - with pictures).  If you don't fancy solider surgery (a low point being looking for a dropped silver head on a grey carpet) then just use Prussian or Landwehr standard bearers in Bicornes.  I hope that this encourages you to get some troops and have a go!  

Colin

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
1st Aug 2020 07:21:37

Update, 1st August.  Having a little break from the day jobs, I set to and prepped & painted my Austrians.

I am really pleased with the results and I hope to put a post up on my blog in the next week.  

Keep painting!  

Cheers  Colin

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
3rd Aug 2020 05:03:31

Update, 3rd August.  

Here are the AWL01, painted as Austrian line infantry - front view:

https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2020/08/napoleonic-austrians-1792-98-baccus-awl.html

Rear view:

https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2020/08/napoleonic-austrians-1792-98-baccus-awl.html

Apologies for the not very good photos - I will post again once I have them based up properly.  I am pleased to say that they do look like Auustrian infantry in Kasket hats.

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Glenn Pearce
3rd Aug 2020 05:11:46

I've painted the loyalist and wasn't really sure if they would work as Austrians or not. You made me a believer! Nice job, looking forward to seeing more.

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
3rd Aug 2020 05:23:20

Thank you.  They'll be more photogenic when based.  The castings need a bit of "interpretive paintwork" to create turnbacks, but provided you have lots of troops, no-one should notice.  I am hoping that as the cart is opening again soon, I can get some more packs, plus some Prussian Command as suitable for flags & officers.  I may also work out how to convert a soldier into a drummer.  Watch this space!

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
20th Oct 2020 09:00:26

Dear All.  

I've finished my Austrian Infantry and posted some pictures of the gaming-ready infantry on my blog.  See here https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2020/10/napoleonic-austrians-1792-98-baccus.html for the pictures.  I think that they make a good proxy - I'm going to put an order in for enough to make an Austrian army for Flanders & Italy 1792-98.  This will include various colourful Frei Korps to add contrast to the massed ranks of Whitecoats.

I have already started using Spanish Mirliton Cavalry for French Hussars & Spanish/Prussians in Bicornes for French Medium/Heavy Cavalry.  The Mirliton Cavalry work well as early French Hussars.  Here's a link to my blog progress report back in June.  https://colinthewargamer.blogspot.com/2020/06/recent-paining-french-revolutionary.html 

French Revolutionary armies are proving to be colourful (even the Austrians!) and there is a lot of scope for small armies to be fielded - British, Hanoverian, Dutch, Hesse-Kassel......

I hope that this is helpful and if you are thinking of getting some figures - go ahead!  

Cheers!  Colin

PM ChrisBBB
Standard User
ChrisBBB
20th Oct 2020 09:46:45

No drummers yet, I see!

Other colourful contingents I'd love to have would include various short-lived French vassal republics, eg, Helvetian, Cisalpine, Ligurian, Parthenopean; and the Piedmontese aka Sardinian army; and the French emigres fighting alongside the Austrians. (I still have some French emigres in 25mm!)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES

BBBBlog

BBB on FB

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
20th Oct 2020 03:44:22

These figures are the Mk1 conversion.  I'm planning to convert some skirmishers into flag bearers and drummers - just need the cart to open (which I hope will be very soon!!).  They will be the "Mk 2" conversions.

PM Colin the Wargamer
Standard User
Colin the Wargamer
6th Feb 2021 05:06:29

Update on those Austrian figures - I have now created the "Mark 2" figures - flag bearers, drummers and a fifer from AWL02 Skirmishers.  More info on "colin the wargamer" blog.  I really enjoyed these conversions, the flag bearer in particular was quite quick and easy to do (which is good, as I'm going to need more).  Another plus is no figures had a date with madam Guillotine and I did not have to search the carpet for a missing head!  I trust that this inspires you to "have a go" !  Cheers  Colin

LATEST FORUM POSTS

ITMA - French Carabiniers and Empress Dragoons by Colin the Wargamer
16th May 2024

Waterloo Map for 6mm hexes Blücher game ! by LEmpereur
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
16th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by ironass
15th May 2024

Gettysburg reenacted (solo) by Mort53
15th May 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS