Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Rules > Other Rules > WW2
TOPIC: WW2
PM ithoriel
Standard User
WW2
ithoriel
5th May 2016 10:03:10

Isn't fistful of TOWs 1946 onwards?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM njt236
Standard User
WW2
njt236
5th May 2016 10:56:24

It does cover WWII. I've just come across a PDF version I had on a memory stick. Will have to have a good read of it. It's a huge set of rules. 452 pages. With more data charts and army lists covering WWII right through to 2015 than you can shake a stick at.

http://fft3.com/downloads/

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM ithoriel
Standard User
WW2
ithoriel
6th May 2016 01:20:42

Ooooooookay .... 452 pages!!??

Think I'll stick with Blitzkreig Commander ... life's too short.

I want something I need an evening to play not a PhD to understand :-)

I like games where I roll a D6 and understand immediately what the result of my action is. The days of charts and tables are very much in the rear view mirror.

But for those who's boat it floats, more power to your elbows. Weird world if we all liked the same thing.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM Fenton
Standard User
WW2
Fenton
7th May 2016 09:53:56

Command Decision/Test if Battle are my preferred set of rules. Or Spearhead if you something slightly  quicker to play 

PM jbickley00
Standard User
WW2
jbickley00
17th May 2016 12:45:37

Don't let the page count scare you, the rules re very straightforward and easier than pretty much every set of rules I have seen mentioned in this thread, including Blitzkreid commander. The vast majority of the 452 pages is taken up by pretty much every army list (and associated vehicle data tables) that matters bettween about 1939 and 2015. Including multiple changes for the evolution of armies as the changed (i.e, the Us army shift from ww2 through the pentatomic era, to the 1970;s and 80's through the global war on terror. (or for WWI fans, every iteration of SS and whermact panzer grenadiers). Yes its a huge book but thats because its huge in scope. 

The authors do give detailed reasoning behind the math, if you want to fix, add or alter units. I myself have done all the conversions for WWI Tanks, and am working on better MG rules (I have yet to find a rules set that handles indrect fire by Machinguns well).  

PM gary1946
Standard User
WW2
gary1946
24th Nov 2016 05:20:41

I am still strugling with base sizes. I prefer to use fire teams (as in FOE),  squads may be ok but not as flexible. Has anyone tried any specific size? I have experimented with thin bases but 3mm is easier to handle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have FOW, Blitzkreig Commander and schwere-kompanie. All seem to be decent rules with varrible approaches. Gary

PM Fenton
Standard User
WW2
Fenton
24th Nov 2016 08:17:21

25mm square is pretty common for both infantry and vehicles if you want to base tanks etc. Most ATG's will fit on those base sizes as well

PM Baggers
Standard User
WW2
Baggers
25th Nov 2016 03:25:34

I have BKC2 which seem good for a quick but engagng game, and there's a reasonable forum page. Looking at either 30x30 or 30x20 bases for inf. What's the general thinking on to base or not base vehicles? Possibly easier to handle based vehicles but the lazy bit of me isn't convinced.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
WW2
Whirlwind
25th Nov 2016 04:28:07

I think bases work better for games which aren't 1:1 (e.g. 1 base = 1 platoon).  In 1:1 games, the bases start getting annoying by limiting the interactions with the terrain and exacerbating any scale distortions.

PM njt236
Standard User
WW2
njt236
25th Nov 2016 06:12:14

I base my vehicles. A based infantry unit would look too tall alonside an unbased vehicle. I'm really struggling though on choice of infantry base sizes. Mortars and MMG etc probably 20/25mm square depending on size of the mortar etc. Infantry??? Eg A squad of German Panzergrenadiers (1944) has 4 riflemen, 1 NCO, 2 lmg's and a Pzshreck. So that will need at least a 60mm frontage base. But, as whirlwind stated, Trying to use a 60mm base in confined terrain and the groundscale distortion particularly when using tanks and ATG fire. Using smaller base sizes ie 1 base for the rifle squad and  bases each for the 2 lmg and pzshreck. Well just 1 company will have 9 rifle bases, 18 lmg bases, 9 pzschreck bases plus 2 mortar bases, 4 HMG bases plus 4 more Pzschreck bases for the Anti-Tank squad. Multiply this by 3 for a Battalion. You see the problem. Huge numbers of small bases to move around. Having 1 base = 1 platoon I'd have 3 infantry bases, 6 bases of LMG and 3 Pzschreck bases. AAAAAARGH. I really don't know. I've  a few sets of rules. Firefly uses the squad as it's base for firefights. eg rifle squad value 4 at 200m. + 3 per lmg support and so on.  I want a base that looks right so that I can use whichever set of rules I choose at the time. AAAAAAARGH. That's it I'm finished  

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024