Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
12... 4
> Rules > Other Rules > WW2
TOPIC: WW2
PM gary1946
Standard User
WW2
gary1946
6th Mar 2016 03:10:45

Now that we have a start on the new WW2 figures...

What rule  sets are being considered for use?

Personally I am thinking of Flames of war to keep the 1:1 company level of play. I am not sure about base sizes.

Would they be to small and fiddly? Using the WW1 Armoured cars as examples I think the new tanks (when ever they appear) will look fantastic. I am not sure I would care for a stand representing a platoon.

I have my GIs primed and ready to paint.

We have all been waiting for ww2 but I haven't heard any chatter about what rules are being considered.

Gary

PM Baron Clenawly
Standard User
WW2
Baron Clenawly
6th Mar 2016 04:25:33

I use Battlegroup PanzerGrenadier for my 15mm Tunisia WW2 Games with one base = 1 section, but would look at something different as regards 6mm. 

Any plans for a Polemos set; or rules akin to the Great War Spearhead 2?

Very early days yet I'm sure!

PM njt236
Standard User
WW2
njt236
6th Mar 2016 07:07:49

I have Flames of War and Kampfgruppe Commander. I'll probably use the latter. As for base sizes. Whatever ruleset, whatever period, I base on a 60mm frontage. Each base would represent an infantry squad. So a US infantry company would have 9  squads each base having an NCO,  9 riflemen, 1 designated marksman with Springfield 1903 rifle and a BAR. An armoured squad having an NCO and 7 riflemen. I'll probably add a bazooka team to each armoured infantry squad base as an armoured platoon had 5 bazooka teams. German bases (sqauds) will have 1 NCO, 7 riflemen and a 2 man lmg section. Smaller frontages for mortars and bazooka teams etc. 20mm frontage probably, maybe 25mm. I'll decide when the support packs are released and I see what footprint they take up.  As I said 1 base = 1 squad for regimental size engagements involving  3 battalions  per side but for larger engagements each base could be used to represent a platoon or even a company. However, the larger the formation the base represents it would need to have a different composition of figures on the base to best represent this larger formation. So for me a base will represent nothing larger than a platoon. 

Your humble servant

GS Patton. Gen 3rd Army (aka Nigel)

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM bhall389
Standard User
WW2
bhall389
7th Mar 2016 09:15:40

IABSM and now Iron Cross. I also dabbled with Blitzkrieg Commander.

PM ithoriel
Standard User
WW2
ithoriel
7th Mar 2016 11:14:17

I'm planning to use Blitzkreig Commander 2 or 3 (depending how the Pendraken revamp turns out) and since I have Eastern Front in 10mm I'm thinking France '44 for 6mm.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM adam west
Standard User
WW2
adam west
23rd Mar 2016 02:38:39

I'm torn between Flames Of War or Blitzkreig Commander. I want big battles but with all the varied equipment of WW2 im thinking perhaps its best to stick to 1-1 scale.

PM Whirlwind
Standard User
WW2
Whirlwind
23rd Mar 2016 02:48:20

I'll be using WRG 1925 - 1950 and Spearhead.  I have had a few vague thoughts about using Megablitz, Chain of Command and Command Decision too.

PM njt236
Standard User
WW2
njt236
23rd Mar 2016 04:15:10

I've just gone through my drawer full of rulebooks that haven't been used for a few years and came across Commbined Arms and Firefly. Firefly I used over 20 years ago when I refought Operation Market Garden. I'll have to read it through again but it was a good ruleset.

Through the travail of the ages Midst the pomp and toil of war Have I fought and strove and perished Countless times upon this star.
So as through a glass and darkly The age long strife I see Where I fought in many guises, Many names but always me.
So forever in the future Shall I battle as of yore, Dying to be born a fighter But to die again once more.         

G S Patton

PM Uhbas
Standard User
WW2
Uhbas
5th May 2016 02:18:39

I would advice people that want to play company level games to take a look at schwere kompanie

http://ritterkrieg.blogspot.nl/2015/07/schwere-kompanie-rulebook.html

PM jbickley00
Standard User
WW2
jbickley00
5th May 2016 04:33:14

I like wistful of tows for this period.

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Pre 1st May by DuncanWB
23rd Apr 2024

Save the Date! BBB BASH DAY V, Daventry, Sunday 19 May 2024 by ChrisBBB
23rd Apr 2024