Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Terrain > Table Size
TOPIC: Table Size
PM oppi
Standard User
Table Size
oppi
17th Feb 2016 09:19:59

Hi !
I was wondering what table sizes you all have. I am planning my new table i want to use for FPW and Napoleonics. Right now my mind is set on 6x4 Foot / 180cm x 120cm

Do you think that would be enough / too much ? What do you guys have ?

Cheers

Email Extra Crispy PM Extra Crispy
Standard User
Table Size
Extra Crispy
17th Feb 2016 02:01:03

More is ALWAYS better. If space is an issue, see if you can make a table in two parts - one permanent and one "leave"  that you can add when needed.

I have a 6'5" wide by 9' long table. That is as much space as I need (my games are typically 8 players, 4 per side).

Mark "Extra Crispy" Severin
ScaleCreep.com
DeepFriedHappyMice.com

PM ithoriel
Standard User
Table Size
ithoriel
17th Feb 2016 03:31:38

I can turn my dining table into an 1800 x 1200mm wargames table (I'm on my own so no family arguments about doing so!). Big enough for the largest games I play, which is two players a side.

I find anything over 1200mm too wide to reach things in the middle of the table.

Many of the games I play these days need considerably less space than what I consider the traditional 6'x4' wargames table.

Eyesight and hand-eye coordination not quite up to 3mm on a pocket hanky but 6mm on a card table is a regular feature of my gaming these days.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Table Size
Glenn Pearce
18th Feb 2016 06:46:21

Hello oppi!

I think 6x4 is a common size in the UK and should be okay for you. I'm in Canada with a big basement and use a folding ping pong table that I first got some 40 years ago it's 9x5. When I had a small place I could just fold it up and put it aside. At one time I had two 8x4 extensions at either end that created an H shape for a 17 foot long table. We never really needed that much space so I sold them off. Unless were playing a really large battle like Borodino we rarely need the 9x5. Often our maximum is 8x5, but if I only had 6x4 it would work with just a simple redesign of the scenario.

We use the 60mm x 30mm base sizes as battalions for most of our games and sometimes as brigades for big battles. Your base size will actually dictate to some degree the size of your table. Hopefully your using 60x30.

Best regards,

Glenn

PM oppi
Standard User
Table Size
oppi
18th Feb 2016 08:02:14

Thanks for your input !

I am now learning the rules with proxies and im pretty happy with 6x4 so  far

@Glenn

I am a bit concerned about using 1 unit = 1 battailon, because it gives me such big units to move around (in KDA that is). Of course i can split up a corps, but i dont really see a use in it

PM Glenn Pearce
Standard User
Table Size
Glenn Pearce
18th Feb 2016 08:51:09

Hello oppi!

Great idea using proxies. What base size are you using for KDA and do you only plan to play brigade games for both FPW and Napoleonics? What made up your mind to use your base size?

Best regards,

Glenn

PM oppi
Standard User
Table Size
oppi
19th Feb 2016 07:12:30

I am using 60x30mm as a base size. Originally i wanted to play battaillon level games for FPW and GDD, but im not sure if my table doesnt get too crowded for KDA.

But i´d really like to be as close as possible to the original order of battle

LATEST FORUM POSTS

Kangaroos, Elephants & Tigers by bushs
18th Apr 2024

The Army of Northern Virginia by ironass
17th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by DuncanWB
15th Apr 2024

2004 Shows by Whirlwind
15th Apr 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
15th Apr 2024