Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> Painting and Modelling > Painting Questions > vallejo acrylics
TOPIC: vallejo acrylics
PM Elenderil
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
Elenderil
30th Nov 2017 08:39:52

If you haven’t used acrylics before then you need to experiment a bit.  I have settled on a system of pre shading.  I undercoat white (using a Halfords white aerosol primer) thena wash using GW Agrax Earthshade or Windsor & Newton Peat Brown ink.  I thin the acrylic paint to let the undercoat and shade show through and block paint. 

Others undercoat black and paint the high spots in a denser colour.  Vallejo is good for that as they have good pigment density.  You do need to give them a really good shake and I second the suggestion for a ball bearing in each bottle.  I have gone from old Humbrol Enamels to acrylics like you have.  I wouldn’t go back if you paid me.  The colours mix well and cover well.  I do suggest buying a drying retarder as acrylics dry faster than enamels although water works almost as well and you do get used to the shorter set edge time.

PM Daren
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
Daren
2nd May 2018 12:10:06

I use a grey primer, then apply wash and pick out the details that now stand out with colour - you can see some examples by searching for nerad games and looking at images. This technique works perfectly for me using Baccus figures due to nice detail.

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
dourpuritan
3rd May 2018 12:38:44

Since you first posted I have changed my technique, having been put onto this by a hobby shop owner. Rather than dilute with water I now use Vallejo acrylic thinner. This thins the paint, making it easier to apply, without dispersing the colour, which water does apparently.

A little goes a long way

PM mcolbert
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
mcolbert
6th May 2018 06:41:12

FWIW for my paining over the past few years, 2mm - 35mm I have used inks from liquitex and daler rowney.  I don't claim to be anything other than a wargame level camoflager, but they work.

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
HuubStegeman
6th May 2018 11:34:31

So far I've only got a spray can of Vallejo black primer and one or two bottles of paint, and the rest of my paints are still Citadel. I will switch to Vallejo and possibly Army Paint in the future. The primer is great, anyway!

Email dourpuritan PM dourpuritan
Standard User
vallejo acrylics
dourpuritan
23rd May 2018 11:09:26

One of my wargaming friends is also an industrial chemist and his mantra (which I follow) is don't undercoat until you have used a primer, as primers are made to adhere to metal better than ordinary paints. Once primed, and I always prime using Vallejo white primer, then undercoat whatever colour you like - but not too thick.

A little goes a long way

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024