Notice: Due to issues with the processing of VAT on deliveries to the EU a limit has been put in place, restricting orders to a maximum of £135. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
> Forums
> General > BaccStarter > Byzantines
TOPIC: Byzantines
PM jvoltz
Standard User
Byzantines
jvoltz
13th Aug 2016 10:54:16

I know that there are a lot of variations (Early, Mid, Late), but I think that Baccus could make some great models in the range. While there's already a thread on the forums suggesting proxies, the proxies are still largely inaccurate. I'm particularly interested in them for Medieval gaming, so my preference is for Late Byzantine (and I'd really love to see an expansion of the Early-Medieval range).

PM MykeCole
Standard User
Byzantines
MykeCole
17th Aug 2016 12:55:30

Second this, and will commit to purchasing complete armies for as many factions as you produce. Average 150 pounds per purchase.

PM HuubStegeman
Standard User
Byzantines
HuubStegeman
13th Aug 2018 01:26:14

Indeed, so will I!

PM Elenderil
Standard User
Byzantines
Elenderil
17th Aug 2018 05:42:09

Count me in for:

Early Byzantine Scutatoi at least 4 packs

Early Byzantine Scutatoi rear Rank Archers at least 2 packs

Early Byzantine Lancers and Supporting heavy cavalry Archers probably 4 packs of each

PM peter
Administrator
Byzantines
peter
22nd Aug 2018 08:30:35

Byzantines?

From which era?  The Roman/Byzantine empire was around in one form or another for a thousand years or so and the troops did change a wee bit in that time.   Are we all talking the same Byzantines here?

I have plans.   I am dangerous when I have plans...

Email ironass PM ironass
Standard User
Byzantines
ironass
22nd Aug 2018 10:27:40

Guess Peter has a point... specify!...lol... In fact Peter is really very helpful indeed! (in my experience)

PM DJH@DavidJHarvey.com
Standard User
Byzantines
DJH@DavidJHarvey.com
25th Aug 2018 06:46:00

Fairly late Roman in style until c650, but diverging under eastern influences until C1050; further changes through the interactions with Crusaders and developments in medieval central Europe; part of the fascination of Byzantium is 1000 years and 1000 enemies from Sassanid Persians and Goths under Justinian to the Arab civilisation through to Rus and Asiatic hordes then war against Norman and Hungarians, the 4th crusade; with the Paleologue at war against the Mongols and minor allies or Timur - now that requires an awful lot of figures - or how about a long-term project, so we can all budget to buy each year! 

PM Hadk
Standard User
Byzantines
Hadk
4th Jul 2019 04:08:06

Having recently purchased a bunch of proxies/bases for conversion for 10th-11th C Byzantines, I would love to see a dedicated range and would definitely purchase a force. 

From a practical stand-point, I would think that a range catering to the 9th-11th C would be a good starting point Peter, because it would mesh well with the demand for your Crusaders and Saracens range, whilst the Normans would gain another natural opponent/ally (Maniakes in Sicily, the Norman takeover of southern Italy, the Balkan campaigns of Robert Guiscard). Your Vikings and Anglo-Saxons provide Varangians for the same period whilst your Seljuks and Turcopoles useful irregulars/allies/enemies. The problem with going earlier than the 10th C and later than the early 7th is that you then don’t have ready-made enemy forces other than various Saracens as proxies for Umayyads/Abbasids. Later than the 12th C you have some reasonable proxies for use as Latins in Greece but no Ottomans/Mongols, and in terms of the man on the Clapham Omnibus’ knowledge of Byzantines, the popular imagination is best caught by their involvement in the First Crusade. The earlier and later periods of Byzantine history, regrettably, continue to be almost totally unknown outside of academic circles. So my vote would be for Middle Byzantine forces.

PM Daniele Bruccoleri
Standard User
Byzantines
Daniele Bruccoleri
3rd Jun 2020 10:53:29

I'm actually very involved in my Seven years war project but Byzantines it's a range I would like to collect.

I'm interested in Early byzantines (may be figures from late romans range fit well to proxy) and Nikephoran Byzantines. I think it would be a great adding to Dark Ages ranges.

Email LEmpereur PM LEmpereur
Standard User
Byzantines
LEmpereur
4th Jun 2020 09:14:49

We are not byzantines expert... but, it seems that some special formations characterize the fighting style of the Byzantines!

are there special rules to manage them?

:-)

L'Empereur Béte et Méchant vous invite à visitez : Le Blog : https://lempereurzoom13.blogspot.fr/ & Le Projet 2020 : https://2020batailledeloigny.blogspot.fr/... Cons se le disent!!!

At the top left of each blog, feel free to select your language to translate Her Majesty's Prose!

LATEST FORUM POSTS

6mm basing sand issue by Darren redstar
27th Mar 2024

New nomads by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by peter
27th Mar 2024

Desert nomads where are they? by diadochi
27th Mar 2024

Glue by David Kay
26th Mar 2024

UPCOMING SHOWS